The battery builders club

decided to take a 4.5A, which plug should I take (a gx12 with a cover or a 5.5x2.1 with a cover) Or which one do you recommend?

1 Like

Depends on what chargeport you plan on using but 2.1x5.5 is the most common

1 Like

You should pick a plug that has a current rating higher than the maximum current you intend to charge at.

Other than that, itā€™s a matter of preference. My last board used an XLR. Brian swears by 5.5mm barrel jacks. My ebike uses an SD16 because why not. All are valid choices, but they also all have their pros and cons.

So I was wondering since I saw this 5.5x2.1 that handles 5a but says 30v so I donā€™t know if itā€™s a problem?

The voltage ratings of connectors are usually pretty conservative, especially since we arenā€™t exactly doing aerospace work here. The current ratings, however, are much more significant. Do Not underrate your connectors current-wise.

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01813-8

2 Likes

is there a way to split the balance plug of a 12s jst into 2 6s jstā€™s, and balance the whole pack with one of these?

I have a p group out of wack Iā€™m trying to figure out how to raise. Whatā€™s the most common way you guys are doing this?

Charge a single p-group through the balance leads.

1 Like

I think youā€™d need a pair of center taps to the pack too, but otherwise, it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

ā€¦Actually, itā€™d probably be cleaner to just make 2x 6s packs since youā€™d need to use a y connector in either case if going with XT** connectors.

If youā€™re using bullets, the center taps make a bit more sense since you donā€™t have to physically break apart the Batt+ and Batt- connector

but yeah, for a single p group, itā€™s a few hours on a 1s charger for me

1 Like

how do I do this/what do I need? This is a TB 12s4p battery thatā€™s got multiple groups out of whack

You can get a balancing board off eBay or something, I personally use a 4 bay charger from Amazon

Use some alligator clips and make sure the settings are right

You can only do one at a time though or it will short out (all bays have a common positive)

Iā€™m confusedā€“what are you doing, taking apart the whole battery and disassembling the p-group to charge each cell individually in a 4 bay charger?? Isnā€™t there a way to do it just through the balance plug?

Get some break out board wires, stick them into the balance connector to isolate the bad group, and attach the other end to a single bay of the charger using alligator clips

You donā€™t need to pull the battery apart, just unplug the BMS balance port

1 Like

oh jeez, I gotta do some reading I donā€™t even know what ā€œbreak out board wiriesā€ are =/

The wires with male connectors on each end from Arduino kits

SIM&NAT 8inch / 20cm Male to Female Dupont Wire, Male to Male, Female to Female Breadboard Jumper Wire Ribbon Cables kit for Arduino Raspberry Pi 2/3 (90 PCS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RX78T9L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QLm9EbXYNYVW7

O god, dude do I need to know how Arduinos work and shit and how to use them to do this? Because Iā€™m not a robotics engineer :joy: :joy: sorry, is this the only way??

1 Like

One second, Iā€™ll show you

1 Like

This is possible, but you must either sever the series connection between the two packs, or have two separate hobby chargers that do not share a ground. Otherwise, POOF!

You can just poke a wire into the balance connector and run 4.2v to the low p group until itā€™s even with the others. (pic coming, its on my phone)

1 Like

@ZachTetra @iamasalmon love you guys btw :pray: :pray:
Iā€™ll have to send you beer or something

2 Likes