The battery builders club

You need to be sanding and shaping the tips into a rounded dull point. Every time you see a spark you should inspect the tips to see if that point took damage and needs reshapen.

Spot welding repository. Read everything here
There’s even a ton of data about how the probe shape effects the weld.

If you’re getting sparks on 50% then you’ve got up to 50% compromised welds. That’s not a spark, it’s an arc and what you see is the spark. Just as much as it can blow holes in the nickel it can create similar damage to the probes of the welder

3 Likes

Sparks 50%?! Sparks even 10%, you welding on nickel plated steel.

5 Likes

https://vimeo.com/421830090

1 Like

It’s most certainly not steel…it is very easy to vaporize and doesn’t spark. The sparks are usually pretty small and only from one side, they always pass the pull test still so the welds are mechanically secure

Is there any better way to run the balance leads? I can tape them down so they are secure where they cross but they still cross

1 Like

Those are quite thick I dont think it will be a huge issue. You could use fishpaper at each point it crosses

4 Likes

That’s totally fine

6 Likes

Something like this…

1 Like

What’s that tape you’re using?

Fiberglass tape, or more commonly known as heavy duty packing tape

2 Likes

When the heat shrink is already a good fit before you heat it :sweat_smile:

Edit: now it looks like a Turnigy 20000mAh lipo lol

5 Likes

Try this: Battery spot welder :kissing_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That looks great!

What size of nickle it can handle? :thinking:

1 Like

Wait it runs off a USB…? Like 5W charging? How fast can you actually get good welds with that

Can be used to weld nickel sheet with thickness less than 0.12mm.
Built-in battery, no external power supply required.

1 Like

I don’t know anybody using nickel that thin. Cool device though. For whoever has a use

2 Likes

I saw those on eBay for 50ish I think, up to .15 iirc

4 Likes

I’m very happy with how this turned out… everything is well insulated (plastic holders space the cells out, fish paper rings on the positive terminals, all nickel has been rounded, all balance wires are layed as flat as possible with an ass load of tape and fish paper, there is a card board plate on the nickel and fishpaper wrapping the cells, it’s been double heat shrinked with the wires coming through little slots), it looks pretty, and it’s idiot proofed (XT90s termination and 5A fuse wired in). I feel this is good enough to give to someone I care about

Actually it’s a 7.5A fuse…I seem to be out of 5A

8 Likes

heck yeah, I’d ride that pack, nice work :+1:

4 Likes