The battery builders club

This is what i was referring to. Not clear from the picture if he scratched it up or not, but still looks fine.

2 Likes

Ok yes I did that.

two days in salt water

Yes I scratched it up

2 Likes

I know this isn’t anywhere near batteries but how do you add a little sentence like what @BenjaminF and @Linny have next to your name

Ah, that’s what we call a title. You get it if you do something absurdly crazy that is worthy of one, or if the mods like you. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Oh… rip that idea

Or just shit a lot

4 Likes

What is that supposed to mean. be active?

1 Like

If you upset a mod they will give you a title out of spite, alternatively be active for a long time so they recognize you and say something interesting or funny. I shared a story about screaming into the wind because my board nearly died going up a hill in the middle of the night and I was fucking cold…that landed me this weird title

2 Likes

Does anyone know how much a box with 100 18650 measures?

18mm diameter, so about 200mmx200mmx80mm

2 Likes

Hi 2 cells came like this was wondering if I shouldn’t use them
I bought 2 spare just on case but still could be useful to use

They both have slight rips in the wrap on the cells

Yeah, you’ll need to make sure it is re-insulated. You can put some fishpaper over them, wrap it in a few layers of kapton, or get some new wraps.

2 Likes

thanks will do fishpaper

2 noob questions if anyone can help
number 1 what is an acceptable voltage of the cells to be at when making the pack?

also what is the best glue for connecting the individual cells within a p group? (silicone?)

The actual voltage doesn’t matter nearly as much as having all the cells be the SAME voltage. Lower can be better (down to the storage voltage of ~3.5-3.7 at least), because it reduces the amount of power that can flow during a potential short, but you won’t have any of those, right??

GE Silicone II neutral cure silicone is king. Hot glue is also popular, but Silicone is much less likely to crack or melt. (Silicone doesn’t melt, period.)

2 Likes

To be fair, if your cells are hot enough to melt hot glue you have much bigger problems

1 Like

I dunno, the lifespan rating for 30Q cells specifies up to 80C during discharge. Hot glue softens a lot lower than that.

even though the batteries can take discharge at 20 amps, I like to set the esc settings to be conservative for the pack. Want more oompf? build a bigger pack or use punchier cells.

I have never felt my battery to produce more than just light warmth. :beer:

On all the boards I opened in use, the ESC is almost untouchable and the battery is barely above ambient temp

1 Like

Is this high temp or low temp hot glue?