The battery builders club

Like, how much of the large strain relief could be cut off?

Oh, like all of it. But it doesnā€™t really matterā€¦ that would be the charger plug,

1 Like

Yeah, I was just curious if at bare bones it had potential for an external floating sensor connector

Narrator: It does not.

2 Likes

Any tip on making fish paper stick better? Or mine is just crap? Everything cleaned really well

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t like staying down around the curves. Stick it down with kapton to keep it from lifting.

Or shape it by rolling it tighter in that direction before you stick it

5 Likes

Thanks, will try that

1 Like

You want the tape to go all the way around and stick to its self like a elastic band

3 Likes

That helps, will see if itā€™s needed when I stack all the packs, Iā€™m trying to use as little as possible since I have to finish the board with what I have on hand

Thanks guys

1 Like

Itā€™s also the glue of the paper. I had a bunch from nkon before and they stick really well.
I ran out and bought 10meters from AliExpress and it hardly wants to stay stuck at all.

1 Like

So my 12s3p shorted outā€¦chance of salvaging it?

Cells are still cold, voltage is still 41.4V

There was 0.25" of wire in the negative end I was soldering and I got solder splashed on my hand and dropped the leadā€¦and then it poofed. Big spark, a bunch of soot, be the tinned but if wire is just gone, kinda melted into the other end of the connector

After wiping the soot down

5 Likes

Iā€™d personally check each P groups voltage, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s still fine. Did you not isolate and only solder one lead at a time? Like, solder one lead then tape it to make sure it doesnā€™t short? this looks nasty, glad youā€™re okay.

Edit: those cells on the end look burnedā€¦ scaryā€¦ now that I see that I donā€™t know how Iā€™d feel using at least that P group.

1 Like

Usually I wrap with shrink wrap but I forgot to do this one

Iā€™ll check the voltages, one minute

1 Like

Do you have fish paper between each P group?

Yes all parallel groups are isolated with fish paper, itā€™s siliconed between them so it holds as a giant block

All cells are 3.45V exactly

2 Likes

Nice. :+1:

I wonā€™t be the one to say use this pack after thatā€¦ Iā€™ll let someone with more experience chime in at some point.

Itā€™s just soot, I gave it a light rub with a paper towel, clean as new

Okay so I put a new connector on and used shrink wrap this timeā€¦no evidence of it being damaged at all. Itā€™s only gonna realistically be drawing 5A per cell and all the welds show no sign of damage from the high current spike.

This board will have a 100A fuse on it, packs will be rates for 105A when in parallel

Im not worried about capacity, just about if any of the cells will poof under light use

5 Likes

Nah I wouldnā€™t worry. But ask @glyphiks, he likes to short batteries :grin:

8 Likes

I really hope so, I canā€™t afford a fire, or new cells :sweat_smile:

1 Like

image000000

6 Likes