The battery builders club

Put the battery in a hard shell case, and attach something useful to the power, like a USB charger. Call it a off grid power bank. But if they inspect it the battery has to be in a shell of some sort. shrink wrap is not going to pass.

2 Likes

Put a LED and a switch on it, call it an industrial capacity low intensity self contained illumination system :grin:

1 Like

It needs to be impact resistant. The device is technically required to pass cert. Including a drop test.

If they chuck your battery onto a passenger plane like they do with luggage, and it catches fire later in flight, there will be hell to pay. Don’t risk it

6 Likes

hmm this is quite troublesome

3 Likes

Its sometimes cheaper to buy and have someone build the battery in that country than ship overseas. depending on the size of the pack

4 Likes

Maybe if you take the cable which connects the 2 sides you could ship since it is only like 120wh then

1 Like

you mean split the pack in two?

1 Like

Yeah and ship the 2 parts separately

See how much it would cost to ship If it is only 120wh

That rule applies for carry on batteries, not shipping freight.

4 Likes

How much can you ship up to?

Maybe if someone is coming over to the U.K. soon form the US then they could take with

1 Like

0Wh if uncontained…

4 Likes

What counts as containing

If you stick it in a hard shell or fire proof bag ?

i rememeber you saying that you will be getting a deck form tomiboi…maybe he can ship me the deck and i can put the battery into it and ship the deck and battery to you?

1 Like

Short circuit protection, fused, impact resistant, cannot be triggered on by bumping.

2 Likes

Yeah that could be an awesome idea

Would it get past like that

Does that count as containing

@tomiboi

1 Like

These shipping rules came after a shipment of lithium cells caught fire and brought down a plane…

2 Likes

its a hard case lol

1 Like

Yeah but…

1 Like

For me, this is not a rule but I say its a safe guideline. If you feel that you can hold the battery/device at table level, 4 feet off the ground and drop it onto solid concrete with no risk of damage that can cause short or fire, go ahead and claim it is safely contained.

A heatshrinked battery alone may not survive this.

1 Like

At least several layers of impact resistant foam and then tape until its waterproof

1 Like