The battery builders club

Damn finally made it through the whole thread. Thanks to all the frequent contributors, theres tons of good knowledge in here! My 12s4p molicel p42a NESE pack is about to begin construction, wish me luck! What is the recommendation for testing a completed pack to make sure everything is :ok_hand:?

3 Likes

Charge it then ride it is my usual test method :joy:

6 Likes

Is anyone interested in putting together a group buy for cells? Veeeery initial stages of planning, but I need ~140 new cells for my bike project. Was thinking of grabbing the unwrapped VTC6 deal from EV West, but that leaves me with 60 cells left over (theyā€™re selling in multiples of 200), and I donā€™t really have the spare cash for unused cells right now.

Depending on price and interest, etc, I am also open to ordering some 30Qs from Queen instead. Depends on the price, EV Westā€™s VTC6s are going for $3/cell plus $30 shipping for the whole case. Thatā€™s a pretty juicy deal, depending on QBā€™s shipping.

(Iā€™m located in northern California BTW)

1 Like

Iā€™m ok with charge only. The other side is just a blank aluminum plate that I have not removed.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d pick up those last 60 VTC6 cells if you go that route.

2 Likes

@Clark by the size factor I would assume that bms just cut off voltage but does not balance.
Maybe you can check the data sheet. If there is no balance current mentioned than this bms will not balance your pack.
Or somebody with some more electric background can jump in and confirm my thoughts with a look of the components used on this bms.

1 Like

All those identical rows of components are the balancing circuitry - However, without seeing the other side I canā€™t tell if it has the ability to terminate charging or not, or if thereā€™s a microcontroller managing the balance channels. I havenā€™t had good luck with ā€œdiscreteā€ BMSā€™ that donā€™t have a microcontoller, and just rely on the individual ICs in the balance channels.

4 Likes

I bought 2 cases of those unwrapped cells. They where even cheaper on black friday.

1 Like

Hope the nkon nickel is legitā€¦

Last time I ordered it was good!

2 Likes

When?

2 Likes

Some months ago.

For those of you who want to buy Crop-A-Dile corner chomper, take care so you donā€™t get this:

This is useless and this model is wrong:

Be smarter than me and watch what you buy.

10 Likes

I bought 60 on ebay from a local solar installer but he doesnt have any more stock, they worked out at $10AU each. I have used them up but my attempts to get more headways landed in Aus for similar cost have not panned out (fakes not living up to their claims). I need them for my business even buying 100+ cells the pricing isnt great. The headways tick all my boxes for my application. I have some queen battery cells to use till i can get my hands on more legit headways.

3 Likes

Oh so this canā€™t handle outside corners?

1 Like

version I bought is for those ā€œnegativeā€ corners (who even wants that?) like you see on my nickel.
this is right version:

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve been struggling because Alibaba has mostly fakes so its hard. Still not sure if I will be using these as I can get used pouch cells with better specs for cheaper (BatteryHookup)

2 Likes

Thats my experience too, i am also on the hunt for 100amp 3.2v packs. But the shipping is the killer these a popular choice for ev conversations. But the 2 samples cost me $370au landed not very eco. I have not been able to source GM spark batteries modules here.

1 Like

I see you guys still obsessed with round corners and barley paper. Wellā€¦ I disagree again and I will not bother to argue with anyone at all again.
Just an advice. Read other forums. See the work of different battery builders around the world. And last but not least ā€œthinkā€. Do not asume this or that is the one and only way because it looks cool.
Just my opinion.

3 Likes