The battery builders club

ESCs were only a recent issue that will be resolved this year. So its BMS and Motors

DiebieBMS is big and complicated and the ones that are being developed on endlessphere I don’t know much about but they are probably good. $$$ though.

NeptuneBMS, there isn’t enough people here using them to be convinced

Motors is like playing the lottery.

1 Like

That Energus TinyBMS you linked is impeccable AFAIK, but maybe 159 euro is a bit much? Like Trampa VESC6, great but $$$

3 Likes

I wanted that tiny bms, but couldn’t justify the price

1 Like

Curious about an earlier discussion regarding cell level fuses and inline fuses. Could a 200 amp fuse go inline between the two halves of the pack to potentially isolate one side?
Will install one between batt and ESC and charge port.

If isolation is your goal, a diode bridge would do it better.

I’ve got a kweld in Pittsburgh if that’s any help. Where are you located?

1 Like

Newark Delaware, I think about 8 hours away

good job. this inspires me. I plan to build my first battery soon.

1 Like

First one was expensive with buying the malectrics and lipo and lipo charger… If I build a couple more it will be totally worth it.

5 Likes

I’m in philly. Not making packs. Just picked up a welder and will be starting on mine soon

Shoot me a PM. May be able to help you soon

1 Like

Just thinking of a failsafe for a cell short. Not nearly as good as cell level fusing

Anyone using ANL or mini ANLs?

2 Likes

Changed my mind and going top mounted… I am ordering the battery’s later today 12S8P 18650 30Q brick style pack. Could somone check this wiring diagram and see if there is a problem ?

Be carefull with the LLT i installed it on a battery, and didnt disconnect the balance wires from it,and by the time it got to my customer the cells were at 2.8v and thats on a 18ah pack…

1 Like

Thats a fair price if you ask me, would happily pay that for such a solid product

On some project Im working we are using a 550€ bms from EMUS on each battery, because there are no other options that have all the functionallity we need, and thats totally acceptible price wise

1 Like

Whats bad with the neptune bms?
A little bit pricy but has amazing features and the best instructions manual I have seen haha

1 Like

Which one have you used

I installed 3 Neptune 15 so far, when you get one in hand and feel it you will be happy you spent the money on it haha, even the cables are sillicone and are long compared to crappy pvc/whatever we usually get on a bms
Also you can use the bms up to 15s which is great as well if you decide to go up a few volts when these new vescs come out

And the app is great as well compared to xiaoxiaing for example

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I looked but the thing that queered me off was how the technical discussion went with the vendor on ES. And the price ended up kind of high at the time.

Iirc there was also some question about the accuracy (not precision) of cell voltage measurements, but tbh I’d guess it’s at least as good as the LLT stuff…

One big advantage of LLT is the serial protocol has been documented, so you can do cool stuff over btle (or ttl hardwired)

1 Like

@Acido

2 Likes

Didnt see any of the discussion topics on it nor checked the precision honestly but its using higher grade components than llt for sure, the soldering quality on the eye looks as good as it can get as well

Not sure about the serial protocols but who is using that anyways?
On the app you can change basically every setting on the bms, not as many compared to LLT in the destkop app but it has the most important stuff in there

Honestly if I had the money I would use it, especially if you cant get your hands on a flexibms

3 Likes