The battery builders club

Andy’s gonna run out of red circles!

6 Likes

haha, no don’t stop :rofl:
a little bit of shrink wrap and it’ll look great!
Who the heck is making these? :nauseated_face:

Did this person collaborate with a elementary school kid on this project?

Why are a few of the welds perfect fine. What

This pack was given to me by a friend to fix, which i am gladly doing after a very long time of not being able to get around to it. But now that i’m tearing into it, there are so many things i can’t even.

mixed cells, some cells don’t even have heat shrink on them, mixed nickel, some cells are insulated some aren’t, clear packing tape, no fishpaper between cell groups, cell cans literally shorting on each other, burn marks on outer cell cans near positive terminals, bad welds, and my favorite is it was welded as one long pack then folded over fiberglass sheeting (like a space cell).

6 Likes

It will be fiiiiiine!!!

3 Likes

Captain Goodbalance is on the case

18 Likes

Tried my best… out of color unfortunately :pensive:

21 Likes

Lucky there was no fire while he was riding.

3 Likes

Can I get some advice please? I’m about to start a mountain board build and this is the first component. Please don’t tell me to use 30Q cells. I have these, and I want to use them.

Firstly, I could stack these the way they are shown here (6 wide x 2 high) or I could go 4 wide by 3 high. I guess the taller option raises the center of mass of the board, and could be the cause of an injury because it sticks up higher, but also could be damaged more easily? I’m thinking the 6x2 option makes more sense for those reasons. What do you guys think?

For management, should I be looking for a BMS, or running without one and balance charging externally? I’ve even heard people say they’ve found these 38120HP cells to balance themselves while charging somehow.

I know this is the battery thread, but any comments on esc/motor combos to suit a 2WD mountain board with this batteries ability to deliver 200A continuous? I don’t plan to need that much…

1 Like

thanks i think i have those connectors somewhere. how long did it take for them to ship?

1 Like

Amazon 2 days… ordered Aug. 22nd delivered Aug. 24th

I would make that up to the deck you use and how much space you have between your bindings. I personally prefer packs to be low profile. If your deck flex a lot you need either a strong box like a pelican box or you might consider to make two 3s packs you connect via 10AWG silicon wire to give everything the option to flex if needed.

About balancing @malJohann can sure give a recommendation. He use lifepo4 as well on his build (think not the same cells thou)

You can have a look through his build thread as well

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a trampa mountain board second hand tonight, so the plan is to convert that. Trying to decide on drive now. Really loving the look of the gear drive options that are available now.

2 Likes

10s6p incoming.

8 Likes

If you have funds left definitely go with a gear drive. For mtbs it has a lot of advantages.

1 Like

Are you doing this full time already :joy:

2 Likes

Last day of holidays, if I can get this welded tonight I’ll be happy.

Not enough money in batteries to do it full time, and custom boards even less, but they do keep me busy in my spare time :crazy_face:

5 Likes

LiFePO4 is very stable and takes looooong to go out of balance. Do a balance charge at the start, then just use a wall charger for a month and check again, I’d bet they’d still be balanced.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s amazing. I’ll try construct things in a way that would allow me to add a BMS later if required.

1 Like

You can always just route out the balance wires to a jst port. In case you want later to add a bms you can just use that one to connect the balance leads.

5 Likes