The battery builders club

Red is where the discharge current flows (a lot of pixies). Blue is where balance current flows (a trickle of pixies). That is, depending on how you do your series connections.

Generally you want to minimize the resistance in the red path. The blue path resistance doesn’t matter as much, unless you have a restrictive series connection design.

My thought is, if I were to add big copper it’s for the series paths. I’d shorten that nickel if I were you, and I like foldover doublewide nickel for these reasons.

2 Likes

The two series wires will connect to the copper bar. I can shorten up the nickel pretty easy since nothing is welded yet. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Bump, could anyone help me out here?

I think each parallel wrapped in fish paper + heatshrink aswell as the whole pack heatshrinked to reduce vibration you should be as safe as most of us

I’d carve up one of those thin cutting boards and put a strip or two in there.
if there is a good gap you can fill it with silicone,.
As long as it still fits, I don’t think you can over insulate here🍺

3 Likes

What’s the recommended BMS these days? I would prefer something small and rock-solid reliable vs. something fancy and more feature rich. Also, where has everyone netted out on the internal vs. external debate? I like the idea of keeping it external, but that seems maybe more cutting edge than I want to be. Thoughts on this also? It would certainly solve my size concern.

Thanks in advance for the feedbac!

Is there any particular reason the pack is routed like that? If that is how you wish to build it, a couple layers of fish paper down the center + some abrasion resistant harness tape at the minimum, and make sure there is no sharp things poking out, inspect all solder joints and edge of nickel strips. If the deck is rigid enough, could run a strip of PCB fiberglass or some thick plastic insulator strip down the center.

If you wrap your p groups in fishpaper and heat shrink and as well fix them accurate in the enclosure that should be already good.

As others said, over isolation shouldn’t be your concern here.
I got some plastic edge protection from the hardware store super cheap and just cut them in the right length like this.

And than just glued everything in place with silicon and filled as well the space between the rows with silicon.

Maybe you also want to post a picture or diagram how you plan to place your p groups?
That helps to give you better suggestions.
Maybe turning your p groups 90 degrees would be a good idea. @Jamie42

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was thinking about doing fishpaper in the middle, shrink wrap around each side (5 P-groups) and then shrink wrap around the whole thing. Sillicon might also be a good idea. That plastic also looks good, a bit more rigid.

There isn’t a particular reason it was done like this. But I don’t feel like resoldering those double 8 AWG. Rather leave them on there. Before this it was a pack with 1 part double layer and 3 parts single layer.

Here is a diagram:

4 Likes

Hey guy I want to build the exact same pack as this one for my trampa build. Do you guys have some advise regarding what nickel strips and awg wire to get? I have bought some cell holder layout nickel strips and 0.15x8x100mm strips but im not sure if these are the right ones…
(Would these be better?)
https://eu.nkon.nl/1-meter-nikkel-batterijsoldeerstrip-25-5mm-0-15mm.html

1 Like

I would recommend 0.15 x 12mm strips and 10awg wire

2 Likes

Actually 12 awg wire would be fine if you are copying that battery

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice !!
Wouldn’t this be better to use for the same stack style pack ? (25.5mm*0.15mm)
and use 0.15x12mm nickel for the top bar ?

1 Like

Yeah that stuff would be a lot easier. You don’t need an additional strip on top of the cells if you are using that.

That stuff looks like it’s angled though. Try find the straight stuff

3 Likes

Here is how I do it.

7 Likes

That looks amazing ! What nickel sizes and awg do you use ?

2 Likes

Damn that is nice. You got some juicy welds there :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This
https://eu.nkon.nl/accessories/packaccessoires/battery-solder-strip/1-meter-nikkel-batterijsoldeerstrip-25-5mm-0-15mm.html
Then this

https://eu.nkon.nl/accessories/packaccessoires/battery-solder-strip/nikkel-batterijpack-verbinding-soldeerstrip-27mm.html
And reinforced the series connections with 8mm nickel (I think, maybe it was 6mm because this is what I had available).
The cables are 10awg

3 Likes

Got all things together. But I have to resolder my whole charging cable.:grimacing:

1 Like

You got a case for the kweld dude? Would hate to see anything bad happen to it!

2 Likes