The battery builders club

I hope it’s okay to ask about this in this thread. If not, I’ll relocate the question elsewhere.

I just made my loopkey. Took a tiny length of 10AWG wire, stripped it, created a squared off U shape between the terminals, soldered it to the XT90. Then I took the cap, cut the internal ribs so I could attach it, and filled the cavity with epoxy.

I realised there was no way to grip onto it to pull it out easily, so I drilled a hole through, put a keyring in and used some heatshrink to insulate the keyring. That alone took an hour and a half because the heatshrink kept getting snagged. It was a ballache. Im pretty sure when I drilled through, it was just the epoxy exposed and not the soldered wire but I can’t be 100% sure.

Anyway my question is, if the keyring insulation becomes ripped, and if the drill hole went through to the wire, is there a risk that a short between the keyring and wire would cause any issues? I.e. fire or sparks. More importantly, is there a risk that if I touched and exposed loopkey wire/shorted keyring while it’s plugged into the board I could get hurt?

Just being super cautious. I know there’s probably nothing to worry about, but the last thing i want is for my macgyvered loopkey to burn or electrocute me or my board…

I’m also on 2hr sleep so my brain isn’t fully functioning.

1 Like

Nah it’s fine, it’s all equi-voltage so nothing will happen, as long as you didn’t break the connection with the resistor in the XT it’s good

2 Likes

Cheers. I measured the resistance and it’s 5.1ohm so that should be okay

1 Like

If the ring is touching the wire, and your loop key is in the positive wire of the pack, then you would be touching the positive wire of the pack if the ring’s insulation is gone. Some people don’t even notice this voltage but touching even a 12S pack causes a very unpleasant sensation for me.

If the ring is touching the wire, and the ring’s insulation is gone, then there’s a chance you could short-circuit the pack if the ring touches any ground wire connection or grounded heat sink in the board. The odds of that happening are probably verrrrrry low but only you can determine if that’s the case, depending on your setup.

1 Like

Oh good catch, metal charge ports are also going to be grounded

1 Like

Ok I have about 5 in here, and 6 in here… no 8 in here.
ok, I have 5 in here… 8 in here… that’s about 14!

:rofl: :laughing: :joy:

are those balance wires? or are those his series connections?

edit: oh shit. sry long bump. 28d.

Really?? Do you usually have moist hands?

They’re never dry and always damp in hot weather.
Or perhaps I’m just salty. :joy:

3 Likes

I always have small cuts on my hands, especially after handling bits of nickel, so I definitely get a tingle around 6s and really start to feel it at 12s

2 Likes

Sup fellow builders. Going to start my first MTB battery build (12s6p P42A) and was wondering where you guys source your wide nickel? Probably need something in the 150mm x 40mm range.

Here is a sketch that I did:

1 Like

Why do you want 40? For staggered 21700 I use my 30mm wide roll

e.g. Building a 12s8p Electric Mountainboard Battery: The Finale! - YouTube

2 Likes

I’ve never built a pack in the vertical orientation, so I was just estimating the width. Good to know that a 25mm wide roll will work. Do you mind sharing where you sourced your nickel? I need to buy some for this pack.

Edit: thanks for the build video link as well.

I can sell you some if you’re in the US, if that’s the pack configuration above, I’d recommend 2 meters minimum

3 Likes

Yep, I live in Oregon. I’d love to buy some from you. Sending you a PM shortly. Thanks mah man!

Of course!

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I have a 10s2p Samsung q30 pack made out of Neee 2s2p modules. So every module has 4 cells in it.

I had those modules laying around without them being connected to each other.

Do you know if I can just connect those 5 modules again with a bms and charge the cells back up?

As long as they are wired up correctly? Not exactly sure what the concern is

*and of a similar state of charge and have been kept around storage voltage without dropping below 2.5v per cell.

4 Likes

Interesting, ive only noticed the tingly sensation above 14s. 12s i havent had any feeling from

1 Like

None of us can know.
We need lots more info. :slightly_smiling_face: