The battery builders club

Ok so i got some ebike batteries from a shop I stopped by to recycle and found this stuff used for the Main positive and negative output groups of the battery. Really cool shit, its .5mm nickel clad copper with .2 mm welded to it for the cell connections. Seemed legitimately the highest ampere connection I’ve ever seen and i was kinda sad to tear it down as it was just a bad bms for the pack but the voltage was wrong for what im doing.

The cells in it are pretty cool but have no real online presence except on alibaba and tested at 4600mah and ir of about 100mohm. Spec on the one seller states new ones are 5kmah and ir of .02 but the ones i got were warranty discarded as the bms died at 5-10 cycles… so probably false specs.

@vegr0 i can send what i have from the demolition if you’re interested

5 Likes

Did a day with the bms unplugged and pack 1 continues to drain…18650store CS are absolute braindead morons with replying to my emails, ive asked them to send me the 6 cells i need, but instead just replying a few times with an absolute wall of word salad bullshit on how its almost impossible for it to be the cells and its up to my building skills.

I’m sorry to hear that. Are these the Lishen cells?

2 Likes

Absolutely false specs if that’s a DC IR spec. They could be 5Ah at 20mOhm AC IR though but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Molicel P42a

1 Like

Bummer. Hope you get it fixed soon. We finally have nice weather.

1 Like

Was there any fishpaper on that, or was it relying entirely on polyimide tape? Was it shrinkwrapped?

What were all the materials between the cell, and the carbon fiber composite?

2 Likes

No shrink. Nothing else. Vhb, kapton tape, cells. No insulator rings. Nada.

6 Likes

weight savings??

1 Like

This isn’t the drama thread, that’s over yonder.

From a materials perspective, I was just wondering what specific items abraded that easily under vibration.

If it was just polyimide tape and/or 3M VHB tape, that’s expected, as both are not good at abrasion resistance. (but excel in other areas)

Was there VHB tape in this exact spot?

3 Likes

Nah he covers the underside of the pack in vhb to secure it.

3 Likes

I’d like to interject here to mention that the pack I took apart certainly didn’t use VHB.

It was a double sided foam tape of a much lesser quality than VHB.

3 Likes

Where are the welds?

in the middle, only 4 of them

1 Like

Between the cells on the 2 packs I’ve got is just hot glue.

Cells themselves don’t really have anything else just a ton of kapton.
On has what appears to be duck tape to cover the pcb connections and other just kapton.

2 Likes

Probably ran out and then used wish.com variant

lol

WOW best thing I could think about. Thank you very much for idea.
Are you using syssi - esphome-jbd-bms or FL4P - Batmon?

2 Likes

This one. I’m using it with an ESP32, over ble.
Putting an ESP8266 in and wiring up the serial connection straight to the bms would also work.

The Hass IO “batmon” custom component does not work well for me

2 Likes

Ok so the sheets im using will be 75mm x 120mm long.

Did you arrive at 300A based off the 120mm measurement? Because this whole time i’ve been going with the smaller measurement ( 50mm + 30mm) to get the rated current for the nickel.

With 50+30 i got 226A acceptable, and 302A hot/poor, and my next question is say I’m pulling 300A, how bad is it that the nickel will be reaching into the ‘hot/poor’ territory?