The battery builders club

I think those are the correct ones.

1 Like

Iā€™m going off the original picture from cautiously here The battery builders club - #23242 by ApproachCautiously

Looks like these as best I can tell. I think I can see metal shining through so they might be the exposed tab version, not TO 220FP, but maybe not. I didnā€™t realise how big of a difference in thermal transfer the plastic made, for some reason I assumed it was something more conductive
https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/stb75nf75.pdf

Edit: oops yeah lines beat me to it

1 Like

Hi guys,
Does anybody know if Fogstar is still shipping to Europe or just UK? I sent them an email a few days ago and had no response. Iā€™m looking for some p42a cells, Nkon hasnā€™t got any stock and I donā€™t know any other sellers.

I have 96 unused p42a cells from nkon that I am willing to sell but they need to be balanced properly.

Not sure if this is the best placeā€¦Let me know if it isnā€™t. Looking for a battery builder to make to larg-ish (16s3pā€¦maybe 4p) pack for a minibike Iā€™m building. Actually, Iā€™d need two packs, as Iā€™m building two bikes.

So glad to have found this board. I like to build all kinds of stuff, but I donā€™t think I want to get into making my own pack - Iā€™d rather leave that to experts in the art!

Send me a message if you are interested. And, thank youā€¦Iā€™ve already gotten so much great info from reading this board that has helped me on this build.

2 Likes

You should set your heat on a sacrificial piece of metal, like a razor blade or an old battery cell. Turn it down until it isnā€™t blowing through.

1 Like

Yeah, I did a practice run on an old cell beforehand and it looked okay. Also tried on just another nickel tab but doesnā€™t get a good weld on nickel to nickel without going up Iā€™ll try again though. Is it okay to sand down the probes when they start getting dull?

1 Like

I use a file to sharpen my probes, and they do need sharpened pretty often. Though dull probes are less likely to blow through than sharp probes. So you might have to turn the heat down on freshly sharpened probes.

1 Like

Gotcha

2 Likes

@A13XR3 @Skyart @JoeyZ5 @TheBoardGarage @BenjaminF
All these are very good pack builders stateside.
Hit @glyphiks up for Australia
Unsure for Europe ATM

3 Likes

@Simeon for Europe batteries. High quality stuff.

4 Likes

I should be decreasing my weld pulse duration, right? As I decrease, the blow throghs appear to be getting worse.

Maybe it goes against conventional wisdom but I got my best results with slightly rounded tips. Iā€™m using a kWeld though.

2 Likes

Same. I sharpen my probes less than once a year. With consistent welding technique, the tips kinda get blunted and then just stay that way for a very long time. I get very good and consistent weld this way, and I dont spend a bunch of time sharpening.

When I DO sharpen my probes, they usually are much more fragile for the first 50 or so welds, and deposit lots of little bits of copper until the get blunted again and start to harden up.

3 Likes

They look too sharp to me. All of that energy is being concentrated at the tip. Get a flat piece of steel that has a lot of surface area, and weld on it until they are rounded off, like others mention. Turn it down until it isnā€™t blowing through. The sharper they are, the faster they will round off. You never want a sharp point. I tend to only sharpen them when I notice one lead not welding as well as the other, which if I remember correctly, is usually the positive electrode. Iā€™ll leave the negative electrode fairly dull.

1 Like

You might not have to turn the heat (pulse length) down at all after you round them off. The rounder the tips are, the more pulse length youā€™ll need, and vice versa. I only have to sharpen my electrodes more often than others because I use welding jigs with very small holes.

1 Like

Alright, Iā€™ve got a question for the hivemind:
What is this connector?
Itā€™s 1.5mm 2mm pitch, and not JST-ZH. Itā€™s on a xiaoxiang smart BMS. I ordered a UART bluetooth module to go with it, but the bluetooth module just has a regular JST ZH.

If I canā€™t figure it out, Iā€™ll just desolder it and replace it with a ZH, but it would be nice to know since all the connectors on this thing are this type.

A round of googling led me back to this forum lol

Looks like it goes by a bunch of names

JST HY 2.0
Yeonho SMH200

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804610679406.html
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804311425355.html

5 Likes

Well Iā€™ll be damned, thatā€™s it! I must have not been mathing correctly last night when I determined it was 1.5mm pitch lol.

3 Likes

Hey there,
Just wanted to shoot you a thank you for your videos on building batteries. Thatā€™s where I learned how to build my beasts. I just built 2 20s6p for my builds. I thought youā€™d appreciate some kudos. Thanks again. Keep ā€˜em coming.

5 Likes