The battery builders club

Cool, thx.

1 Like

Cant figure out why my BMS is showing thisā€¦
All cells are brand new p42a(12s4p config), this is my 6th pack- the best one yet. My balance wires are clean and straight - im looking over and over to see if i miss placed anything; I didnā€™tā€¦ Only thing i can think of is my BMS harness red wire, is very close to touching the XT90ā€™s 10awg wire thatā€™s on the nickel.

Was about to give it some juice when I checked this, any idea whats up? Faulty LLT bms? I have another unit I can try out

Have you tried using a meter and fling one by one to each group and/or reading off the harness connector?

1 Like

No I havent - that was one thing i normally do that i forgot this time, realized when the heat shrink was on. I did check the xt90 voltage and it reported 43v

ugh, disregard - 2 balance wires were wrong , got david blaineā€™d

6 Likes

How often should I be swapping out thosse tiny batteries on the fuse for the charging port?

Your fuse has a tiny battery on it? The fuck?

1 Like

Iā€™m being thick here lol. For some reason I thought there was a tiny battery, but no just checked, itā€™s a fuse (of course :person_facepalming:).
Fuse-wise, if a fuse dies and I try and charge the battery, what are the consequences?

3 Likes

Nothing, ideally. :smiley: The fuse should break the connection between charger and battery.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a bit confused as to my BMS results, LLT Xiaoxiang, and am wondering if I should buy the $7 app and update the settings? But Iā€™m not sure what to do as I just get confused the more I read about it. Using Apple Phone.

After the charger shuts off, I never get cells 11 and 12 above 3.8ā€¦ so it looks out of balance, but when operating and draining the pack seems more balanced and sometimes cell 10 goes below 11 and 12. Perhaps my initial settings are too conservative? I donā€™t know why cells 11 and 12 never get above 4ā€¦

Itā€™s a 12s4p with the Molicel 21700 P42A 4200mAh 45A Battery.

Can I make it work better with some changes to my settings?

Are you saying that groups 11 and 12 arenā€™t charging above 3.8v? I would crack the pack open and review your series connections as well as the P group connections. Then drop a multimeter on the individual cells and look for anything that is below voltage.

3 Likes

from these two pictures Iā€™m tempted to say that group 1 5 and 10 have some sort of loose nickel or dead cell

2 Likes

The nese style system that you used is notorious for habing bad cell connections in the vibration rich environment of esk8.
Thats where I would look first.

5 Likes

replicated

3 Likes

I need to reopen my pack so can resolder it in a split configuration, has like 1 cycle on it, im not touching any nickel.

Whats the best sequence to do things? Can I leave the BMS balance wires plugged in while im disconnecting P-groups or no?

It totally depends on the bms.

Personally, if it were me, iā€™d unplug the bms balance wires while I did the work and then you shouldnā€™t have any issues.

1 Like

If we bypass the BMS (and I totally get the safety reasons why to do so), how do we control that the battery stays balanced while discharging? Do our vescs take care of it?

How shitty is it if I get frustrated with the slow pace of battery builds in my garage and I step in and finish it?

@jansen, (if he reads this, free tank of gas,:sunglasses:) lol, he wonā€™t.

Slow loris.
I know, donā€™t touch another manā€™s stuff.
What if it takes 4 full days to attach balance leads?

God dammit, hurry the fuck up. Yes you.

2 Likes

As long as the cells are legit, new and purchased around the same time, their capacity should be sufficiently close enough that this happens on its own. Having your bms wired for discharge has nothing to do with discharge uniformity. It provides other protections- e.g. over-discharge protection, overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection. If you notice a p group that is not uniformly discharging, youā€™ll also likely observe it charging faster than other groups. This is most often indicative of broken welds or occasionally a dead cell.

1 Like

12 Likes

5 Likes