The battery builders club

You have this balance board always connected to the balance leads. No connection to the main leads. As long as the packs are in balance (i think it’s ±0.03V) the board is switched off. As soon as one pack gets out of this tolerance it will switch on. There are small indicator leds on the pcb which will indicate if it’s on or off.

1 Like

It just compare the voltage difference between the parallel packs. As soon as one get out of balance it start shifting the energy from the pack with the highest voltage to the other packs. In fact it doesn’t matter which chemistry it is in this case. The main down side on that board is that there is no overcharge or overdischarge protection. For this you would need to add a bms again.

3 Likes

I get that, but when charging a 5p or larger pack there is typically a measurable amount of drift when charging from a low pack until the pack is fully charged. I’m wondering if that will be an issue as the balancer would kick in almost immediately to do a job that will organically happen anyway, for the most part.

I have a lab power supply that detects total voltage, you can programmatically set the charge cutoff based on that detection. That might be a solution or at least something to think about.

As the same will happen while discharge and you can use this balancer during operations, I would say it shouldn’t be an issue while charging as well.

I have similar thoughts as you, if you charge your cells till let’s say 4.1V there shouldn’t be an issue with overcharging.
If the board does the job like advertised balancing could happen with up to 1.2A so let’s say you charge with 2-4A the cells shouldn’t even have a time to drift a lot before they get back balanced.
When I will get the balance board i will do a test with some lipos. 6s charged till let’s say 3.8V and other 6s charged till 3.95V for example. Than connect everything and measure the time till all cells in balance again. If that’s even possible.

1 Like

I like the idea of this,w e just need some actual use data. If we can source decent chargers with adjustable max charge value, that and this balancer would be a lot better for batteries and presumably a smaller failure rate.

1 Like

We now actually 4 people I think who ordered them. I think we will find out if it’s useable or just marketing bla bla.

2 Likes

Ive got one on the way, prolly mid july before it gets here tho, at the earliest.

1 Like

I got a notification that mine not yet in stock and it will take a bit till they ship. Looks like you non the less will get yours more fast :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ordered the equalizer nice find

These pcbs make building safer and easier no doubt. Maybe could integrate a. Fuse on the board but hate to increase resistance.

. I think selling any cells connected at all you’re supposed to need certification and the ridiculously expensive testing @thisguyhere is that true? I won’t be turning u in just wondering. But if u can sell unconnected single cells with nickel tabs welded (think legally u can) people can solder to a board and then not selling connected cells and better connections with a tab each cell anyway

7 Likes

@hummieee do you plan on just keeping the tabs welded to the pcb or you plan on putting some solder on top of the tabs to reduce the risk of a tab vibrating loose and ripping the copper on the PCB?

1 Like

I think if the batteries are velcroid to the bottom of the enclosure with the pcb facing up the forces on the welds will be not so bad. the Velcro holding the cells is important. so they are floating there not hitting anything. Velcro is fantastic. and theres the tape. I tried to add glue but it could’ve been better done and I tried to remove it. I think that tab welded to the pcb is the weakest point as you say and maybe soldering would be better.

How many welds are enough on the cell? I did more than I ever see. Ive never seen conductance tests but the welds are small.

2 Likes

@hummieee I usually do 3 sets of welds on the cell (6 dots total) and then weld the Nickle to the pcb just to track it down and then I solder on top of that. Here’s some pics of what I do with battery pcbs-

4 Likes

looks good to me.

I wonder on the selling of these bricks of four, as if somehow being under 100 watthours its legal. I don’t think it is. i’ll have to look it up and stop going off hearsay. I think selling and shipping single cells with tabs connected to just the cell terminal is allowed though and that’s still a solder step away and they were going to have to do that anyway, and better than welding to the pcb

1 Like

@hummieee So your going to send complete kickstarter boards with battery building kits instead of complete batteries?

id like to. I cant sell with batteries because cant find a battery manufacturer that makes a flexible battery that’s certified. And people around here selling and even with sites I guess are doing it illegally. but going off of what seems obvious this SHOULD be solid and reliable, and if could sell with cell with tabs connected and people would solder to the pcb its pretty foolproof. hard to blow up with the one pcb and small tabs alone. maybe im wrong about it all

1 Like

@hummieee What about bms install? You could defiantly mess up on that if you don’t know what your doing.

true. forgetting about that.

i’d have to sell it as a kit. I cant sell it and NO ONE can sell me a legal flexible battery. it just got complicated trying to sell that. fuck whatever will put it up and sell the motors and boards with boxes at least and be done with the compications

2 Likes

Batteries can be sold undertable, no associated warranty or anything with them

haha under the table. i can sell you an m16 under the table. i don’t think doing it any way but the legal will go well. i cant get someone else to do them or me do them and sell them.

5 Likes

You could prob. Recommend trusted forum members to customers who ask about getting a battery made :wink:

1 Like