The battery builders club

I’d go 3x12 for an 8p just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that you can always get back some torque with gearing too!

im doing the same pack with similar build, just realized i dont have 10awg wire for the xt90 connector, is it fine to use 12awg?

It depends on your usage and/or settings. The battery may end up being capable of putting out wayyy more power than its own wiring harness can handle under a sustained load. Riding on the street you will be fine, but if you spent some time thrashing in hilly terrain, you’ll probably exceed 12AWG.

If it were me, I’d just buy some 10AWG wire.

1 Like

Would 3x 14AWG silicone wire be okay for series connections between 4p Lishen LR2170LA? (35A/cell)

Yes, it’s about the same a 2x 12awg

1 Like

I am gonna buy a Kweld soon, but not sure which power supply option to go for. Thinking lead acid vs lipos. What are the pros and cons of each?

One is heavy, the other ones get really fucking hot, break fast if you use cheap ones, but are light.

So, the only con of a good car battery is the weight? Because then I will likely go that route

2 Likes

Banged this 12s6p P42a out in about 10 hrs over the last 2 days which is by far the quickest I’ve ever built a pack and that includes repinning the bms balance harness with silicone worm. Having precut nickel is what’s up… that saves so much bloody time it’s not even funny.

15 Likes

Bought the 10awg anyways which is coming in a few days, but just realized the build im putting this in for now is using an XT60. Max wire size is 12awg for this connector.

I guess 12awg it is?

Got this waiting for me at home after work. Will send pics if welds then as they’re still uncovered for now. Each package uses square interlocking cell spacers, about 5 sticks of hot glue and is wrapped in fish paper → strapping tape dual layer → kapton dual layer.

Will be using 3x14AWG silicone wire for series. Not sure about wire colour yet.

5 Likes

A bit of an odd request -

I’m looking for a 12v LiFe / Lithium Iron battery pack for a non-esk8 project. I could build one, but it would be great to find an off-the-shelf battery bank or battery pack.

Anyone have any good vendors or websites they like for this sort of thing?

Just swap it out for an XT90. It’ll take u 5 mins

idk about the US market, but weren’t there packs like this on lithium whole sale or something like that?

If you have room for it you can just add an XT90-to-XT60 adapter, or you could replace the XT60 with an XT90.

What size and capacity are you looking for?

2 Likes

first pack I’m welding, 2nd time this happened. looks like I missed the nickel?

2 Likes

This is a very noob question, but how are you supposed to lift segmented packs without putting undue stress on the series connections?

Yeah you missed the center, I usually try to visualize the circle when welding based oh the little bit you can see.

2 Likes

I usually scoop the whole pack up with my arm, cradling it like a baby :joy:

8 Likes

Lipo died before I could finish the rest, smooth sailing after I made sure to stay centered. I kept a fan on the power cables since they heat up quick. The lipo itself also heats up to 60c inside the fireproof bag, can I leave it outside the bag beside the fan while Im welding?

2 Likes