The battery builders club

Ya, that’s the plan. Will cycle the battery a few more times and keep an eye on things. If I notice irregular discharge patterns and/or the strange charging behaviour continues, will remove that group and test all the cells for IR and capacity to see what’s up. Might just drop 4 new cells in There bc it might not be worth the headache for $20.

Edit: nvm. 4 new cells will cost me $100 w shipping and all the other bullshit. I have 2 extras. I’ll figure out which cell is the problem and replace it. Fucking PITA as I just got this board ip and running and tuned just perfect.

Looking forward to picking one of these kits up to get my feet wet in the battery game. Been reading as much as I can but it’s just one of those things you need to do.

1 Like

Paul from BigBattery.com left me a voicemail wanting to talk about the order I made a long while ago and how it’s going.

Anyone have any ideas they want me to share with them?

Pretty sure Ted fit a 12s10p into one of them didn’t he? :rofl:

1 Like

OMG - You’re a mad man @JoeyZ5 and an inspiration :pray:

10 across is doable and your right it would take up every nook and cranny in the Pelicase 1200. The only challenge with this build would be getting the power leads out neatly and charger port placement/loop key.

What I love is that the BMS leads all keep to one side. OK, I’ve taken a deep breath and I’m ready. If it goes ahead I’ll drop the build pics here.

Appreciate the help.

1 Like

PSA: dont leave your maltrics pluggedin into a car battery while the battery is charging unless you know what youre doing. Aparently some chargers create voltage spikes that can fry the welder’s on board microprocessor. Ask me how i know :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Aw fack dude… that sucks all the dicks :-1:

1 Like

You can just replace the Arduino though right? Not that expensive of a mistake in that case.

I did 12s10p in it once upon a time.

7 Likes

2 Likes

It wasn’t easy and I don’t recommend it… I also had to go back and forth on it with you for a while before I could figure it out.

2 Likes

Sometimes its best to just say NO Ted.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean that you should

3 Likes

You’re 100% correct, a small part of me wants to accept the challenge although I don’t think it’s worth my sanity. I have little of it left as it is. It’s good to see some of these build pics though as inspiration. @TheRef It never crossed my mind to lay the cells out that way for the entire battery build and boy, you sure did make use of the 5mm gap for all your cable routing.

yup cartianly not a monetary travesty. I already ordered a new nano . was like$20. It just sucks because i had just finished all my test welds and sat down with my glued up p groups to start on my first ever pack and then discovered it had passed away. lol

I agree fully. I bit off more than I could chew which is why I don’t recommend it. However, I still made it work.

Definitely do as I say not as I do :joy: I only post this so others can learn from my mistakes.

1 Like

#stuffed

I’ve been testing some cells from a recent battery build where I had multiple P groups misbehaving. The cells used came in two different batches. Pack is a 12S6P.

I ripped out the P group then charged / discharged 2 cells, everything seems ok. What I did pick up on was a huge difference in resistance. The 2K509 cells measured at 44mO while the other at 28mO.

The pack was built using 20 of the 2K509 cells.

Dr google tells me the higher the number the worse the cell is.

What I’d like to understand is do folks build batteries using cells from different batches / build dates?

Also is measuring the cells resistance a reliable way to test an individuals cells capability?

How many cycles on the pack? That’s quite a voltage disparity. IR can definitely give some clues as to the state of a given cell. It can hint at damage to the cell or an aging/faulty cell. Did u get these cells from an authorized distributor?

I also think behaviour during charge/discharge is also helpful. If a group is charging/discharging faster than other groups this is indicative of a capacity disparity. This could be from one or more cells operating w reduced capacity, or a broken weld or a faulty cell in th group.

FYI, the IR for both of the cells u tested is out of spec. IR for p42a’s is speced at 13.8 Mohms.

I’d wait for one of the big brains to chime in tho. Paging @Battery_Mooch @MysticalDork