The battery builders club

idk is it just me?
but chargers and bms’es seems like tech from the 90’s.

1 Like

What else do you expect a bms and a charger to do? They do have bluetooth bms that you can actively monitor your cell balance.

nah I mostly mean the form factor. have you had a peek inside one of those chargers? they are very uncool.
those “smart” ones are bulk and looks ugly. monitoring cells, and ways to alarm you when shit start’s to drift in a small simple form factor would be nice

Smart bms are bulky or do you mean the charger?

bothh

I don’t think.the bms is overly big but some of the chargers are. I’m looking at getting a 12s 15a charger and it’s the size of a cinder block lol.

1 Like

External balancing, homie.

No on-board BMS = more reliable, more batteries, more control over charging, etc

1 Like

If you don’t want to fuck around with a bms get this active cell balancer for $20. I’m ordering on to give it a try myself.
US $5.41 32%OFF | 1.2A Balance Lifepo4 LTO Lithium Battery Active Equalizer Balancer Energy Transfer Board 3S 4S 6S 7S 10S 12S 13S 14S 16S 17S BMS
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/38EB5T6Y

Like running a 13pin balancing port on your board? So you can use one bms for all your boards?

1 Like

That or charging with a balance charger. My preference is to charge in paralell, discharge in series

6 Likes

Ya but it looks like you need to take off your enclosure everytime.

1 Like

yeah idk. im building shit for friends so it has to retard proof. And blowing up their mothers hacienda is not on my top 100 things to do before I die list.
doesn’t those active balancing boards balance stuff based on the neighboring p groups. (in other words the pack can still get out of wack? and some other flaws as well that I have forgotten.

1 Like

Negative.
Waterproof 7 pin plugs :beer:

10 Likes

Yes it does but it balances at a way higher amperage then a bms does. Around 12x higher. Why is balancing from neighboring p groups a issue?

Nice I think I might go this route i like it alot. What connector are you using?

Its a Cnlinko
Let me dig up that link in a bit, still at work here🤢

1 Like

So you just run 2 6s packs in parallel then?

For that board I’m runnig 2x 6s for Charging in parallel, then 1x 12s for discharge.

I have another that is 2x5s charge 1x 10s discharge
:beer:

2 Likes

idk about two ports like that. idk I kinda like the fanboi’s all in one tiny port solution better.

1 Like

Definitely not for everyone, but I won’t go back to on-board BMS’s.
The beauty of DIY❤️