The battery builders club

you gotta pay premium so you can help them stock their impressive selection of

$12 mugs

I would say hobbyking is great but sometimes they sit on your order for over a month just because they ran out of xt60s

3 Likes

HAHAH, that is a clever mug tho, I’m tempted. Prolly premium $25 shipping to protect the precious goods tho

1 Like

who here’s got SPIM08HP experience?? @Fosterqc ? Wondering what the easiest but effective way to do my terminal connections would be. Watched this video and the dude just sorta sandwiches the terminals between copper bars and screws em tight with a nut and a bolt. Could I do that with aluminum or is it not acceptable?

These seem to be about the right size and are cheap enough. I’m trying to think how i would do series connections if I went this route. IDK, I’m super noob at these SPIM cells and don’t know what I’m doing =/

1 Like

depends on the required layout. Or if you opt for the foil crimps you are semi-constrained unless you do wire between you foil crimps which is annoying and has failed on me.

I think I found a way to make a 12S2P that fits in the cheap harbor freight case nicely with all the series and parallel connections being done with foil crimps.

This is an example of a 3S2P built using the layout.

Basically it involves paralleling the first two overlapping cells then making a series connection on one side where it hangs over the cell on the right. Then that cell is paralleld to the one on top of it and you keep going.

1 Like

what are foil crimps…? :innocent:

howcome your cells are all staggered like that? none of these are connected right? Will aluminum bars conduct properly for terminal connections?

I’m doing a 3s3p

1 Like

foil crimps (go read @arazamendable’s posts) are the main constraint causing me to overlap the cells like that. Here let me draw on the parallel and series connections, make a visual maybe.

1 Like

I can’t tell what is happening or see the terminal connections at all in this photo

This is kind of more what i was thinking.

Looks like he’s using aluminum or something no? i’ts def not copper

1 Like

ALLLL OF HIS POSTS. AND MINIE TOOO

What it looks like is a shorting hazard…

1 Like

plz tell me u can understand, purple is parallel connections between two cells, red shows when series connections happen and white is where serious insulation would be needed.

@ZachTetra in this design battery terminals that would cause a short are pressed against each other by the series connections :smiley:

1 Like

hu huh whatawhat?

bruh much love I hate to tell you but I have no idea what’s happening in this photo and the markup doesn’t help :sweat_smile:

1 Like

oh shit in that battery? yeah you gotta have some layers of stuff in between. I go for like Fish Paper tape and foam.

1 Like

plz think about it, imaginie what is happening on the other side.

Dude it’s just like any other battery, think of each pouch as a parallel group and you want to make a really big brick pack

doesn’t this make more sense?

1 Like

More sense than what?

1 Like

than this

maybe I’m just not looking at it right but I can’t even see any terminal connections or series connections here. Isn’t that just different colored tape over the terminals? I’m so confused

1 Like

yeah I was just trying to show off the way I found to fit a reasonable sized battery into a common case nearly perfectly, with minimal height so lots of stuff can be put in the top of the case.

What I showed just has to be copy and pasted 3 times to make a 12S2P.

1 Like

I mean the other still makes sense, how you do the connections depends on how you have space for…the clamps are chunky as fuck, some soldered braid would be another option, or welding nickel and folding (iff it binds)