The battery builders club

@ZachTetra it’s for my LiPo packs. I’m gonna open them up to see what I’m working with. But there is no way in hell I’m doing so without heatshrink ready.

Haha that’s an easy one, you just want something with a flat width between 110mm and 160mm (for the fat one)

1 Like

Easy… yeah…
Note to self: cancel 100mm heatshrink

1 Like

Oof, ya gotta account for tolerances my guy…if you’re feeling ballsy you can get 105mm

1 Like

I saw 100mm as being 4inches and thought it might be too big

Imma let you in on a trick… Get some thin string (I use a roll of dental floss), wrap it around the item you are wrapping, mark the point of intersection, measure the length, divide by 2, multiply by 1.2… That’s your perfect flat width

9 Likes

I need help…plz. ugh

So I think I shorted my Daly BMS. Just got everything all finished, charge port and loop key and everything and went to plug in the BMS at the very end and got a spark near the end leads. I’m not readying any voltage through the XT connectors either. This is a 13s DALY BMS and I followed this diagram to wire it for 12s:

When checking the voltages through the balance plug, the voltages all check out for each group as they should, and the last two groups through the plug both read the pack voltage, which is 41.32V. Which makes sense because both my last 2 balance leads are soldered to the - of the last pack. Here’s my mess of a battery

Edit: sorry the photos don’t match the paragraphs well I’m using my phone here blahhh

@iamasalmon

Based on the wiring I should still get voltage of the pack through the XT connectors with the BMS unplugged if the connections are all good right?

3 Likes

I didn’t read all, sorry, but why do you measure „minus“ voltage? Maybe that’s your problem already?

1 Like

I see your pretty P groups and I’ll call. A little work done tonight. Nickel to cut tomorrow

3 Likes

I dont think the 13th lead should be on. If you’re wiring for 12S just wire for 12S.

Also, buy some black wire before you make a big polarity mistake

lol I just had the pos and neg probes switched around on the FLUKE. Thanks but that’s not gonna hurt anything

1 Like

according to this and the diagram I think I solder the extra lead (13th) together with the 12th pack’s lead no?

1 Like

what are you guys referring to here? I think all the wire colors are coordinated coorectly with polarity I was just reading the voltage with the probes swapped around

oh wait you guys are right, something is wonky here!

you wired it backwards?

1 Like

If the black balance wire is on cell1 minus than this

Should give you a positive voltage reading.

6 Likes

yeah I think I did wire it backwards. WTF it’s cause I usually solder my leads to the negative terminals but this time I did it to the positive and so I got everything all goofed up.

2 Likes

man I have no idead what the easiest way to fix this would be. Do I have to resolder all my leads?

Can you depin the connector and switch them round?

Some have a little plastic tab that you can pry up and then gently pull crimped wire out?

2 Likes

I’ve done this before, isn’t too hard if you have an exacto knife or a small flathead jewelers screwdriver

1 Like