The battery builders club

nice.

is it 10s4p 30q? is that 2 layers of 0.15mm x 8mm nickel? I wanna think it through for practice.

1 Like

10s3p 30q, one layer of 25mm by .15 nickel belt

2 Likes

At the upper arrow, where the wire intersects just above the middle (of 3 bent over the edge) connection.
So theoretically the connection at the upper wire is seeing the full amperage of both of those cells. 30 amps, or 40 possibly for 30q. Looks about 10mm wide there

What’s the series connection? 2x14?

yes series connection is 2x14

1 Like

Ideally I’d put the two series connections at equal distances on the nickel pads, so the load moving through them is more easily distributed.

More than likely not an issue. For those amps, I suspect it will be fine

1 Like

it’s it looks like a grid of 0.8mm-10mm wide segments? not 25mm solid across? am I seeing that right? how wide are the segments.

hope you don’t mind me thinking through this.

I see either this naively Path A:

but I suspect it’s more complex like this Path B:

so I think that means those segments need to be 12mm wide to be “acceptable”

thoughts? is my thinking off?

those numbers assume 15 amps per cell ofc.

2 Likes

it is not solid no it is a nickel belt. however i think you are over thinking it. electricity is going to take the path of least resistance yes. however since the amount of distance electrons will have to travel through the nickel is so short, the heat that is created will dicipate into that 14 awg wire. i feel like this particular 10s3p is overbuilt as it is. real world of course will show. you have to keep in mind those pieces of nickel are all at the same electrical potential, as soon as one spot heats up too much resistance will be increased and electron flow will simply take the next path of least resistance, or any piece of that nickel that is cooler on so on and so forth. so realistically, since there are 3 pieces of 8mm wide nickel connected to the 14 awg wire its as if it was one piece of 24mm x .15 but honestly because the piece of nickel is short, for this 45 amp battery i would be comfortable with just one piece of 8mm x .15. any heat created in that short piece of nickel would be distributed into the braid/wire very quickly. However since nickel belt is very easy to work with i cut it so that each cell has an 8mm nickel path to discharge through.

7 Likes

could it be built better? yes. overkill is a thing

4 Likes

you can see why trying to plan p42a packs is breaking my brain. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

tell me a bit about that pack you are thinking of building

12s2p in a tayto. 12s5p in a prototipo.

so far I’m thinking of simple flat pgroups with a sheet of 0.2mm x 25mm nickel folded over, to multiple series points / coper wires to the next p group. I was trying to get myself to draw it out at some point and post both layout and series positions in here.

beyond that I haven’t figured everything out.

1 Like

i think that is a good plan

This is what I did for a 10s4p you could do same for your 5p pack

These are molicell p42a

9 Likes

Aren’t 30q underrated at 15A and most consider them 20A?

1 Like

Yes but, factory rating is 15amps. Some people put 30amps on 30qs. But I don’t ever recomend pulling more then 60amps from any 3p pack. That’s alot of heat.

3 Likes

30q will comfortably operate at 20a, but its likely not great for their longevity

4 Likes

I’m making the same pack, same layout slightly different linkage. Waiting for a new spot pen to come in to finish it.

4 Likes

That looks great! I think that is deffinelty a better series connection then what I did. However the pack I built is for a HAYA integrated deck, didnt think I had the space for that sort of constructions. The cutouts in that deck are fairly small. Also the double 14awg, is pretty overkill, but I like it!

1 Like

I did a very similar design with the short HAYA with 30T cells and a little bms.

5 Likes

Overkill is me using 25x0.2 nickel and 1/2" tinned copper braid for a 3p 30Q pack because that’s all I have :joy:

Does anyone have 1/4" braid?

2 Likes