The battery builders club

I am designing some plastic ring spacers to hold 21700 cells. Battery pack will be in a hex configuration with 1mm of spacer between each cell. Fishpaper has suggested to be used to isolate P-groups. Would I need fishpaper if I am using spacers or is fishpaper only for touching cells?

Looks like they have VTC4 ‘s which are 2100mah / 30a vs the P26a which are 2600mah / 35a.

Oh I thought they have VTV5a…go for the Molicel I guess then

1 Like

Bulk has told me they should have a restock on 30Q’s on the 15th, tomorrow. But they also told me they would have 30T/40T’s in on the 1st and that never happened.

1 Like

@ZachTetra @A13XR3 Thanks guys :pray:

2 Likes

if cells are not touching, you don’t need fishpaper there. However, you need it between nickel and cells if there is voltage difference between them, also between cells or nickel and balance wires. It mostly depends on design of your battery

1 Like

I’ve got a good inventory of VTC5A cells if you’re in need.

3 Likes

“Currently unavailable”, dodged the bullet there big time.
Those are some sexy calipers.

2 Likes

Do you have 20 you would be willing to sell me?

1 Like

Ordered some cells , thanks for the offer. Can’t wait to build with your pcb.

1 Like

Yessir. PM me. I’ve got 200/400 VTC5A remaining, all brand new & sealed.

I’m going to throw them up on my site shortly.

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I have regular sheet fishpaper as well as fishpaper donuts so will use it in the areas you have highlighted.

1 Like

If I can 3d print cell holders. Is this a good idea to make use of? I don’t see it used a lot for esk8. I do see a lot of the powerwall grid layout builds usign them and sometimes ebikes.

but even for a 12s2p I’m inclined to make holders for those pairs to add a bit more structure. but should I?

1 Like

You mean like NESE and WinFly modules…?

The main reason people don’t use them is they take up extra space. They are a good option if you have the space for them and they are a good fit and well secured

2 Likes

Been there, done that. It sucks, at least the way I did it. Should’ve just bought the injection molded puzzle-piece ones instead of printing my own.

As jigs, they’re fantastic for aligning cells for welding or gluing or whatever though.

1 Like

No not the compression style setups… I meant just cell holders/spacers.

I was originally just designing things to help me mock up a staggered stack. I’m not going this route now

but it made me realize I can still design a pretty space efficient casing. that might also provide protection and support for the fishpaper and bus bar on top of the pgroup.

interesting. what’s the way you did it? what sucked?

2 Likes

I recommend getting the spacers off AliExpress…they are like $10 for $10 and hold everything nice and pretty

So I never replaced my pen when I got the “boss” spot welder. The damn thing is malformed and regardless of how much I try to maintain it, it blows holes every so often.

Too lazy to make my own so I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with either of the two linked below?

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Welder-Square-Welding-Soldering/dp/B07J41KG5X/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=diy+spot+welder+pen&qid=1594775648&sprefix=diy+spot+we&sr=8-4I’

I only see these two kinds out there:

neither feel right for a set of flat p-groups.

1 Like