The battery builders club

I’m pretty sure that question has been answered a few times on this thread

There’s only 7660 posts to shift through. Hope you understand why I asked

Nothing from Florida specifically

@Soflo do you need it to be local? I can order some cells, weld them, then forward them…I think most other people are farther north or west

@ZachTetra I have the cells already.

I’m in GA, I could weld Pgroups for you, and can ship realtivly cheap. Ping me if you’re interested.

1 Like

I know this is kinda a late reply but I designed these and they work pretty well.

What size nickle strip would you use for 21700 cells? 6mm? 8mm? 10mm?
.15 thickness

depends on the cell and the configuration, 10mm is okay for 30A

1 Like

depends also on the cell.
Higher power cell may require increased nickel thickness

Molicel p42a. So 10mm .20?

If you can, that would be better

oh wait. you’re going to try and cram welded packs into the NESE, right? as long you don’t pass current along the length of the nickel, you should be fine with whatever.

1 Like

how do you guys prepare/clean your nickel and cell surfaces, as well as electrodes, for welding?

Only electrodes need to be cleaned, its obvoious they will get that darker colour to them, just use some fine sandpaper

If I see or feel anything like residue I hit it with some acetone, fingerprints don’t seem to cause any issues. If there is nickel remaining I hit it with a Dremel and stone wheel attachment, ideally a flat finish but the rough texture hasn’t been an issue with the kWeld. If the electrodes are nasty I’ve been shining them with fine sandpaper, I’ll probably get steel wool though

1 Like

I’ve been occasionally getting a failed weld with the kweld and it shoots a big spark in the process. Wondering if I ground too far into the cathode/anode or if the surfaces are dirty or what

Did you go off the edge of the positive terminals?

heh, well, I can’t see cause the nickel is wider than the surface :man_shrugging:
I do my best, you think I’m goin over the edge? that was my guess

Welding over air 100% causes sparks, take a pick of the cell in question?

1 Like

ahh I’ll take photos next time, the packs have all been jumbled up since it was happening last night