The battery builders club

Yeah, you don’t wanna be carting it around. But there’s nothing wrong with just using a brick charger while you are on the road, just make sure you don’t overcharge.

4 Likes

I’ll wait for this. Don’t want to blow up figuring this out myself.

Hurry up kook

1 Like

i’m gunna need moar SSSS’s

1 Like

…don’t fergit… I have your addy… I might just send you a “shit-stirrin” spoon

:tumbler_glass: :doughnut: :doughnut:

2 Likes
2 Likes

EDIT: I’m building something similar

2 Likes

Does this look fine for my 12s3p pack? Nickel is 8mm x 0.15mm.

2 Likes

Looks great, make sure to spot weld one piece of nickel at a time, most welders have a hard time going through 2 pieces of nickel stacked

2 Likes

Not really? That post explains how you can use a balance charger like the d6 pro?

1 Like

I meant my charger solution is going to be similar… but MOAR volts and amps… haven’t had the time to perv your link

Resistance is inverse add in parallel, no? So you should be seeing 1/ (1/.0221 + 1/.0221) which gives you 0.01105 ohm and with a voltage difference of .05/.01105 = 4.5A. Therefor, anything higher than a .25V delta seems to me to be unsafe.

1 Like

In this case you need to think about them as being in series. I can draw a pic when I get home in an hour.

Here is also a good link with pretty much the same equation I used: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/64509/different-batteries-connected-in-parallel

1 Like

I’m curious as to why that would be, but I didn’t watch the video a few back yet. Nbd I’ll work through the theory and math.

So this is how I am thinking about it. Demo drawing with 3.2v and 3.1v cells connected/welded together, with both having 0.05 ohm internal resistance. Balancing current becomes 1A. That stackexchange link I posted has the equation in a nicer form.

Anyone got any photos of what their nickel looks like before rounding the edge. I cut my nickel strips long enough to hang over the edges so then I could chomp them easoly, like this

Just seems like a lot of nickel waste adding up doing it like this if chomping that much excess. How do you guys do it?

1 Like

Cut them before welding!!

The length to use is 8mm + (n - 1) * cell diameter, and a 4mm radius round

• 2p is 27mm
  • 3p is 45mm
  • 4p is 63mm

Edit: if the parallel group is not butting up against the next group, you can cut it to match the edge of the cell but there’s no real good reason to do that

2 Likes

That makes a lot more sense. Seems people were saying to chomp after welding on my earlier posts, woops lol

1 Like

I couldn’t even get the nickel into the chompers far enough to cut the edges close enough to the cell with the cells welded on. The cells get in the way, so I don’t see how anybody actually does it this way

I don’t thing anyone does, I just got chompers on Amazon for $15 and they need some lube and TLC before they run smooth but it makes short work of corners…at their chunky size they are only good for straight strip 10mm or we wider

1 Like