The battery builders club

i guess this leaves me out as well… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Lol I phrased that too quickly… I meant I don’t have my usual resources and time nor can I see him IRL.

Any tips for improving this? Also on the + side when welding the tab that folds over, I think it may have burnt the fishpaper? should I be welding the whole strip (the two on the sides at least that one be welding back onto a terminal) beforehand then weld the P group togther instead?

Edit: nevermind did a test on a practice cell, is it fine that this happens?

Shrink wrap on the bottom is fine

Whoa. I would never weld over the shoulder of the can. If it blows through the insulating layers there, you are welding a dead short. Only ever weld over the positive terminal of the cell.

9 Likes

Okay got it, ill just do the two sides and middle for the rest, should be fine in the end though? The rest of the packs like that and then the 1 in the picture. Given that I didn’t short those cells, from the test looks like it didn’t.

@Jomant
here is a braid series connection for you. this size braid is both overkill and very low profile

also, Thou Shall Not Cross Balance Leads

this is one hot tamale

11 Likes

Mmmm i love me some overkill build techniques :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Looks awesome! Top mounting this somewhere?

It’s going in another resurrection of mine (children, cover your eyes, it’s an e-bike) This one has a massive enclosure that used to carry a crapton of lead batteries. holy crap that battery was heavy :joy:. anyway the enclosure is so ginourmous that I could easily put double the lithium than what I’m doing now and it will not even weigh half as much​:sleeping:

esk8 is hard!
I can put as much lithium ion as I want for once in my life without worrying about if it will fit🙏

3 Likes

I have dreams of doing an ebike lol, and being able to run wild with how much lithium I can fit in it :crazy_face::laughing::crazy_face::rofl:

2 Likes

How may cells do you think you’ll be able to fit in there? I have no idea how big the enclosure is but I know you can do like 250 cells in the space as a car battery or something

What size pack is in the tipo

1 Like

Workng on my first battery, and using this diagram to guide me:

I’m using this auto fuse but I’m confused how to go about wiring it to the bms?

what do i do? cut the wire and the then I have 2 ends, where do I solder these to? Sorry for the noob shit, any help appreciated for this battery virgin, thanks

2 Likes

I have the same exact fuse and I just cut the wire in the middle and then soldered one end to the charge port negative and one end to the CH- port on the BMS.

2 Likes

Cut it close to the black on both sides, splice it into the positive line of your charge port on the battery side. The wire is a bitch to bend so make sure there is silicone wire on either side of it so it doesn’t get a stress fracture

2 Likes

@ZachTetra @JoeyZ5 hell yeah thanks guys

1 Like

12s8p 18650, I used some used cells that I had laying around. This is a test pack. They are 10amp cells. The plan is to replace them with 12s10p 30q. Will have to get a bit creative with the layout tho

2 Likes

Ah. Didn’t even know it could fit this many cells inside

1 Like

It’s going to require a 1/4 gasket, maybe a bit smaller

2 Likes

check it out
makes the 16s6p look tiny. and the top half is almost as deep as the bottom. double stack, end to end, imagine that thing full, to the brim, lol.
16s20p? easy. I just need to see if the scooch is worth it or just a quick flipp🤫

1 Like