The battery builders club

Actually yes you can and it works pretty damned well if you’re stuck doing that.

1 Like

We are using the wrong solder. Apparently you can solder, braze, and weld stainless to copper. A very cool article from a group of guys into DIY’ing alcohol in the basement :heart:
@Arzamenable @M.Hboards

https://learntomoonshine.com/how-to-solder-braze-and-weld-stainless-steel-to-copper

How To Solder Stainless Steel To Copper

If you choose to solder your components together a common plumbing solder containing 95% Tin 5% Antimony will do the job just fine. You can also use Lincon Electric Solder Stay-Bright Kit With Flux that is 95% Tin and 5% Silver for better results. Both solders will have a melting point of 230°C /450°F and can be heated with a simple propane or Mapp gas torch. You will need to thoroughly clean both pieces and apply a coating of flux to all surfaces to be soldered.

2 Likes

This feels all wrong

14 Likes

haha, what, you afraid of a little sparkle sparkle?

A regular soldering iron gets to 450, no problem. A good one more, prolly.
That donkey-kong soldering dildo you have prolly goes to a thousand degrees, lol

2 Likes

A little razzle dazzle? Ok, I see your angle.

doing up that 12s8p as we speak

these used cells that @Dog is selling are actually testing out to have totally decent capacity, if you can live with the sag. Higher p groups required. perfect for a charge n ride.

edit:
I’m getting over 14 amp-hours on the 8p groups from 3.57v to 4.05v

4 Likes

Come take my spotwelder. I don’t work till next PM

1 Like

Also, I have A second ride and charge enclosure you can have

Which nickel you want to weld with it @Skyart ?
It can weld only nickel which is below 0.12mm and that’s already very thin.

1 Like

What do you mean? I weld .2 all the time

This one I mean.

1 Like

Have not ordered yet

What I meant to say is that I don’t understand why you want to buy a spot welder which can’t weld proper nickel.

1 Like

For science Andy!

2 Likes

Ok ok… seems like I’m the only one with limited budget :rofl::joy:

6 Likes

Nah, you’re not alone. I don’t have money to burn on shit unless I think it holds some sort of value either.

4 Likes

Nobody should be brazing with torches anywhere near a lithium cell. When I say you can’t solder to it, i’m talking about using a standard 480C solder station with 60/40 tin lead split.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it, but it seems that you would be able to use the silver solder with the soldering stations we already have. and if you had to, you could use the torch to braze up a “ready-to-weld” harness, a la @BluPenguin I don’t have any stainless (yet?) so it’s all academic to me anyway. :v:

true. As long as the torch is somewhere far from the cans. lol

4 Likes

Mine look good so far, FedEx treated me nicely

I’m gonna start testing them right now.

5 Likes