$40 Home depot custom enclosure

How hard has this gotten since then?

If you kept any of the scrap you cut off, can you break those now?

6 Likes

Good question! I didn’t keep that scrap, but I kept some of the bit that came out of the heat sink cutout and it’s hard a a rock now.

I tested that piece to destruction by putting a corner in a vise and whacking it after I couldn’t bend it with my hand. It did bend/break but didn’t snap. The material did retain some of it’s toughness and isn’t brittle. Actually seems ideal to make an enclosure with as I’ve come down HARD, (harder than I ever would on purpose :joy:) on this thing and it hasn’t cracked or splintered, and I’m a heavy guy + a heavy backpack. Other fiberglass enlosures have seen a bit of cracking around hole when abused that bad. Part of this enclosures durability may come from the sheer thickness of it, but that is also to the materials credit since I was able to put twice as much down for the same price. Would definitely use this resin again. :+1:

4 Likes

If I want to make my fiberglass enclosure have some flex, how many layers, what type of fiberglass, and what type of resin would you guys recommend?

1 Like

I’d start with 2layers of cloth and go from there. you can always add more. I used heavy glass cloth because I was in a hurry, but you can get a lighter construction with, say, 4oz surfboard cloth. There are no mistakes in working with fiberglass, only more sanding :sleeping:

Right now, I’m using this same basic recipe to make an ebike enclosure, check it out

5 Likes

That’s super cool, thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Because this is my thread, and I do whatever I want with it, I’m going to continue posting about the the ebike. I don’t care that it’s an esk8 forum, I’ll burn this puppy down.

I used Bondo brand woven cloth for body work (only thing Home depot had) and the same ol Famowood table top resin. The enclosure on Deep Purple 2 is rock hard and pretty much bulletproof with all how thick I left it. I put some 1/8" plywood and glassed that into place to with 5-6 tabs of the same glass. came out pretty solid.

The package, strangely enough, did not state the thickness of the cloth, but it felt like a medium weave neutral axis 6oz cloth. I put at least 3 lams of that to start, more in corners and along edges. Since this was woven cloth, I had to notch the glass. Do this while the cloth is still dry unless you hate your scissors. Which, by the way, must be of decent quality and sharp to cut glass cloth.

The ply helps a lot with the stiffness, so did the carbon

24 Likes

the title does not fully convey the awesomeness within

9 Likes

I like this… Been barely considering making a box as well for.an ebike… This looks manageable =)
I feel like the hard part is getting the lid right for closing the case up but maybe that’s just me

1 Like

This thread just solved all of my ebike enclosure problems. I know what I must do now for the micargi chopper. I’ll bet I can even integrate the motor and ESC mounts.

7 Likes

yeap, that’s next.
Here’s what I’m doing:
Before I got too far, I installed some wooded bits to the layup to take the same threaded inserts I use on skate enclosures. Then shaped a piece of 1/8" ply so it lines up with the holes and sits neatly on the outside edge of the enclosure. once the box part hardens, I’ll tape it up and use it for a mold for the lip of the lid, which will come over the sides a little to help seal it up. This could be money, or I could end up with a fully sealed, impossible to open enclosure. Either way, stay tuned for the result, haha

2 Likes

Careful. People might think you are a professional :joy:

Seriously, tho, fiberglass is perfect for these types of customizations. I glassed in my ESC heat sink mount (above) and it’s freaking awesome. Yes, it securely holds my foccers, helps move heat and keeps the water out, but the real benefit is how cool I look with it under my arm

edit: WTF with the insects nose diving into my wet resin? :sob:

8 Likes

#floridalife

I hear random keratin fibers can increase the strength of the enclosures.

The sinewave controller that came with my motor is huge and heat sinky, so it has to go outside the enclosure but I think I can do it tastefully.

not sanding it enough should put a stop to that. lol

7 Likes

Last night I glassed the lid onto the box part, separated only by a thin sheet of wax paper and a prayer.

This is the morning after. either the wax paper or the prayer worked, it came out easy

Trimmed the extra kinda hard cloth with a razor and now ready for the hot coat

I used a few of these hacked-out locating pins to make sure the holes already in the lid will line up later. I sealed all the holes with window sealant putty to drill them out later

3 Likes

It’s all in the prep

6 Likes

Finished up this bike is a frenzy last few days. . the lid ended up fitting so very nice. it’s almost like a tupperware lid. still needs grips, so me decent tires and those white zip ties are killing me. One of these days I’ma mess around and make an intergrated Eskate deck

22 Likes

Damn bro that came out nice! Awesome work!

7 Likes

What heat sink did you use and where did you source it? I’m struggling to find heat sinks that are properly sized for esk8 applications.

This is awesome! I have the same deck (DB Paradigm) and I would kill for a custom enclosure like this. Guess it’s time to upgrade my skill set once again :man_shrugging:t6:

2 Likes

this was a community-sourced heat sink for dual focbox. I think I got it from @thisguyhere a while ago for another build and finally got to use it on this one.

3dservisas was making a batch, maybe they still have a few left👍

3 Likes

I tought is was a flat surface heat sink plate on one side and fins on the other. Thanks for the info though!