The battery builders club

All of these will vary wildly in consistency and reliability, and will be far below a kweld or malectrics. They’ll typically be limited to .15 or .2 nickel max. Whereas the two more premium welders can easily blow that nickel out (and weld thicker nickel, obv).

If you’re going slow, welding thinner nickel, and aren’t afraid of them popping and having to have a couple spares on hand… I suppose they are fine. The malectrics is less than $150 though, I thought.

Is that with the power solution? I thought the good stuff was in the $200 bracket if you didn’t have some stuff on hand (I have never even touched a lipo in my life, literally nothing on hand)

No. +$60-150 for a power supply. 6 or 9 of the SPIM08HP cells plus a balance charger for $60, or some 3S 60C+ lipos w/ >8000mah and balance charger for ~$150.

Or whatever you can get a car battery for.

1 Like

If not too late, I’d urge you to consider 25mm

I like this charger. 8 cells at a time, measures IR (not to be relied on), decent charge current. Can be had for cheap if you search.

http://www.miboxer.com/eng/p8.html

It might be more useful to have something that can do a capacity test, like this

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20LiitoKala%20Lii-500%20UK.html

That one is like $20, cheap build, on the edge of garbage, but seems to work, and you can buy a few if you’re actually capacity testing for a skate pack, so it doesn’t take like 3 months.

There are other more expensive options, but none of the commonly available stuff “smells” like quality. I have some Nitecore stuff, it feels on the same level as this stuff.

2 Likes

Darn. Too late haha. Why 25mm? So the nickel can be folded upwards like how @glyphiks did his pack?

If you’re doing end to end series, you have the option to fold over 180deg (old style not so popular now), or fold over 90deg and make series connections on top. Folding over one big sheet of nickel seems electrically and mechanically much better than welding many thin strips. I rarely look at the 10/12mm strips now that I have 25mm on hand.

Oh also have you seen my 3d printed welding guide/jig? *Nutty 100-40* Subsonic Century AVIO mk2 P42A 13s4p

3 Likes

Cool, I’ll take a look. I’ll be building a 10s3p for my stealth board so I’ll be doing end to end and folding it.

2 Likes

What connectors are you guys using on your 12s4p batteries? Im building a p42a pack, should I double up xt90s? Or will one be sufficient?

1 Like

One should do it

1 Like

Use XT90 connector, it’s more than enough

1 Like

C’mon amazon… fish paper been out for delivery all day.

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s been asked several times before, but where are people getting these esk8 squad bus boards? I don’t know what shop to look at

2 Likes

@akhlut has the gerber files on his github. You can upload the files to any pcb fab house like jlcpcb to get them made.

4 Likes

Oh that’s pretty cool, thanks I’ll probably do that. Does anyone actually sell them though out of curiousity? I thought someone did

1 Like

@DerelictRobot does, pretty sure @thisguyhere does too

6 Likes

I have a pretty stupid number of battery PCBs incoming in the next week. 3-7p 18650/21700 sizes. I’m basically dry in inventory right now

8 Likes

Any plans for 26650 pcbs? :thinking::man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Yeah I saw they were out of stock haha, sounds good! Idk when I would need them yet anyway

1 Like

And if we say something silly enough, we too can be immortalized on a PCB?

3 Likes

A little more progress. Just waiting for 1/2 braid to ship.

3 Likes