The battery builders club

It will connect BETWEEN the positive terminal of one P-group and the negative terminal of another P-group. All the metal parts connected to the nickel tab are BETWEEN the positive and the negative. It doesn’t matter where exactly you solder the balance wire.

Okay, so if I understood your reply correctly I can leave it like it is?

Yeah looks good. Positive of one, between the two, or negative of the next, all are pretty much doing the same thing.

1 Like

absolutely

1 Like

Especially for high powered cells I hate to use nickel for the power lines. Looking at the build, it’s probably around 30A/cell, right? All my A123 packs (2p) are all copper soldered to the cells. I always stare and stare at the piles of nickel strip (including .25 and .30 nickel) and spot welders, then I reach for copper braid instead… This is not as bad as you might think. I think in a lot of other RC hobbies, it’s typical to solder to cells for high power applications. But then again, with all the testimonials on the forums, I’m probably way overthinking/overbuilding things.

If you’re considering spanning groups with nickel, it’s actually quite similar to doing a fold-over, right?

The 20awg experiment looks interesting! Can’t think why this would be bad, except for the tedium of making 144 or so solder joints. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check my recent thread… I used braid copper soldered to nickel then spot welded that on… Just a diff idea…

1 Like

can i use this on a 12s6p?

@drone001 Ofcourse. Its specifically what I’m doing

3 Likes

thx …i’m a total noob still…

It´s a 12s 4A charger. you can use it on any 12s pack. Ok 1p will be hard on the limit depending which cells you use… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Andy87 You managed out of all the chargers to link specifically my charger from the exact same seller :ok_hand:

1 Like

was first i found on Ali… might be a sighn… who knows :rofl:

1 Like

How much is acceptable cell voltage difference? I noticed some being 3.517 while others were more like 3.524. This is before charging and with 0 cycles.

I didnt think about it then, but I am a bit concearned now.

As long as it doesn’t exceed 0.1V you don’t need to worry too much.

2 Likes

I think I’ll do that. It will be good for science. :smile:

It’s “only” 96 solder joins since I this would only be done for making the 3S2P packs, which I can then easily connect together with 10 AWG wires soldered between the cells at the front and back part of the battery pack.

1 Like

Guess I can contribute now. Just finished my first pack for the evolve gtx. Still awaiting crimps for the balance plug but hopefully take it for a spin tomorrow

13 Likes

First 3S2P group done. Three more to go. Stats so far:

• wires cut: 12
  • pieces of insulation stripped: 24
  • solder joins made: 24
  • shorts across the solder wire that made a splendid spark: 1

Flex test:

Note the middle corridor for routing the balance leads. Patent pending.

14 Likes

More progress. Still at one spectacular spark only. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

They’re so pretty!

Unfortunately all that fish paper around my p groups made my battery a tiny bit to large for the evolve enclosure. I found a riser online and modified it to 8mm. Something I’ll know for. Next time I guess.

4 Likes