The battery builders club

Correct.
Read some posts, comment on some, and you’ll eventually be granted posting rights. I don’t remember what the thresholds are but they’re quickly reached.

Welcome!

2 Likes

Whoa. Mooch. I’ve read so much of your battery post. LOL. Nice to meet you.

5 Likes

does the relationship between the P groups to the BMS have to be the same as the pack itself? as in, so the P groups have to be consecutive in the pack like this…

or can you set it differently to the BMS? I want to make this pack as 3 separate modular packs and kinda run the balance wires like this

The balance wires must be in the same order as the series connections.

Hi guys , about to start building a 12s6p pack.
Question. Will 3 strips of 0.2x0.8 nickel going to a busbar be enough for each P group? Many thx

Gotta get a little more info about what you’re building as the cells and parts have more to do with what you need than the cell count alone can determine.

12s6p using A123 lifo-po4
Motor max will be 60ish a side
I know the current rating for the nickel, was just wondering what other ppl use for parallel connections

I think the most commonly used method is to cut one sheet of .15 or .2 to hit all the cells and get them to the series connection. Stacking nickel has never worked well for me and introduces a lot of failure points. Is there a reason why you want 30a of rating to each cell in such an unconventional way?

The pcb only has 3 slots to attach to the series bus bar

I

I’ve made a sheet for the top and bottom of the cells and will use 0.2x0.8 from them to the pcb

1 Like

Ok so i can’t upload pictures right now for some reason but why don’t you leave a tab for the series connection when you cut the nickel out ? This is what has become standard practice on here because of how simple it makes the whole assembly as well as getting a good solid low resistance connection for each p group to the series connection.

Take a look at the premade ones here and do something similar, the premade ones here are made to fit duck’s pcb battery kits:

I can’t do that as the pcb has three individual slots . That’s why I was going to use three strips of nickel

1 Like

I cant tell from your one pcb picture what you are describing. need so much more info to help come up with a best solution. maybe post a bunch of pics and crayon drawing - it gets my attention because they are so delicious - gotta target your audience :smile: kinda seems like nickel might not be the best solution so id default to using silicone wire but thats just a guess

Amen brutha, I feel ya :call_me_hand:t6:

Question: What is the “black insulating glue or caulking” that some battery builders put on their soldered wires? My Lacroix battery has that black glue on it also.

I don’t know the name for it, but I would like to use it in my battery build.

It’s just black hot glue

That’s easy! Thanks!!

Looking for the right size shrink wrap for 5p groups?

H+W+10 is what ive been using to calculate from a graphic I saw… im in deep shit if thats not right haha…

1 Like

This is just a general question. Feel free to chime in.

If I make two batteries
10s6p and 12s5p
Both with the same capacity , would I get the same range ? Disregard motor kv’s etc