The battery builders club

New battery pack, not been charged. Has been on a loop key since assembly. I went to charge it last night for a maiden run today but the charger light didnt go red nor did the fan start up like it usually does. Charger still works and charges a different deck.

I thought id neglected to plug in the charge cable so i took it apart today to correct and found that it was connected > headed to the app and discovered this…

2 Likes

rip. two cells dying at once is pretty bad luck

Oooooffffffff

Seems highly unlikely to me that they are actually dead.

I’d be tipping there is something wrong with the balance wires.

11 Likes

There is always hope. :smiley:

1 Like

Hey guys!
Could someone point me in the right direction? How do you calculate current density for the S connections? Maybe some working examples?

Its straight forward with this one:
Opera Pillanatfelvétel_2023-05-03_154733_mail.google.com
each cable carries the current of two cells, all parts of the nickel only carry current from one cell.
Dont mess up the soldering and its perfect.

On the other hand:
Opera Pillanatfelvétel_2023-05-03_154709_mail.google.com
This way, to my knowledge, you have to take into account that the current density is going to be higher so if the diameter of the solder cant support it, it might create hotspots.

How do you calculate the optimal current flow with a big sheet of nickel, how do you spread out the series connections?

I think this is not specific enough. Maybe I’m missing something, but there must be more

You are overthinking, and asking a bit too scientific questions that don’t need to be answered for if you are making a battery for yourself or someone else, if the goal of this post is to know how much nickel you need for a series connection you went too deep, on the other side if you’re really interested about where the current flows and how good luck finding your answer.

Anyways for a series connection 30mmx0.2nickel should be plenty because the current is only travelling about 1.5cm and on that short distance the ampacity of anything is quite large

U can calculate current density based on the amount of paths and resistance. 100 amps going thru two parallel paths is going to split evenly so be 50 each unless the resistance between the paths vary. With multiple paths if one has more resistance it will also heat up more increasing it’s resistance changing the ratio and reducing current through that path

1 Like

Looks good. No notes.

1 Like

There’s no way way to calculate the current density other than to divide the estimated current by the number of series connections and then decide if the current level per connection is too high or not. This assumes the resistance of the series connections (including the soldered joints) are about the same.

We have no data or guidance for making that decision though other than the gauge of the nickel and wire at those connection points.

But IMO, it’s mostly common sense. A wire that can easily support 50A probably won’t result in an excessive temperature rise (or power loss) in its series connection when 50A is flowing. This is due to the lack of heating of the joint by the wire and the ability of the wire to sink heat from the nickel if it’s sized properly.

So, optimal current flow? As low a current level per series connection as you’re willing to go based on your preferences/priorities for temperature rise and power losses. More series connections = lower power losses = more better. But more series connections = more work, higher cost, more weight = more bad.

Find the balance that works for you.

As for the physical location of each connection, spread them out fairly equally unless you have some sort of offset of the spot weld points. It’s not critical unless you have huge spikes of current that would result in high power losses without optimizing the placement.

5 Likes

First time using a maletrics spotwelder, how are these welds looking? Using 0.2mm pure nickel with 30ms weld pulse, battery fully charged.

4 Likes

Never used malectrics but the welds look good. How do they tear off? Testing on the blade is good for a baseline, but you’ll likely want to tweak once working on cells

4 Likes

Thanks! Im still playing around a bit on the blade, tested on an old cell and seems I need a tiny bit more energy on that surface. Not all the welds tear off though, normally 2 or 3 out of 6 tear off, so there is a small dot of nickel left on those spots.
Also I started with holding the probe tips perpendicular to the surface but I think holding them both at an angle seems to work better. Whats your experience on this?

2 Likes

I definitely prefer the tips at an angle, i generally aim for around 60 degrees from the welding surface. I also try to keep my probes reasonably close to each other, like no more than 2mm apart. The distance apart will also affect the weld strength

4 Likes

Okay thanks mate will try that :pray:

3 Likes

How can I tell 0.2 and 0.15 mm nickel apart?

I ordered some stuff and went to measure it after feeling how much thinner it is. I’ve never used anything other than 0.2mm so the lack of thickness is what made me check. pressing semi-hard into the nickel with the calipers got me a 0.15mm reading but it kinda does the same thing on 0.2 nickel. It’s too fine for me to measure but the stuff is definitely more flimsy than what im used to.

stack a bunch and put it in the calipers?

1 Like

Use the tip of the calipers only on a stock edge (shears will make the cut edges slightly thicker), pinch the fingers of the caliper instead of using the thumb wheel

1 Like

Ideally you’d use a micrometer, that small difference is challenging for calipers, especially cheap ones. My nice calipers can distinguish 0.15 and 0.20 pretty easily, but my cheapo ones struggle.

If you have an accurate scale that reads down to 0.1g or better you could cut two equal sized pieces of nickel and compare their masses.

If you have a scale that reads better than 0.01g, you could directly measure one piece and calculate its expected mass from area and thickness x density, and compare that to the measured mass. A difference of 30% should be noticeable.

1 Like