The battery builders club

They look fine dude. If it bothers you, cleaning the flux off is easiest with a bit of isopropyl while the joint is still reasonably hot.

2 Likes

But has anyone seen the duck and MB in the same room? :thinking:

6 Likes

Oh boy here we go lol

Ah, so YOU’RE the one.

1 Like

Is there some sort of reference I am missing?

Eh, he’s welcome to it. I have not had the time or money to invest properly in my shop for a while now, as I’m sure yall have noticed. Shits been going out of stock and I dont have enough hours in the day to bring it back in stock. It’s all I can do to keep my building materials in stock for my battery builds :sweat_smile:

I want to give my shop the love it deserves, and there are lots of fancy new products on the drawing board (which would be much harder for mike to imitate) but for the time being my shop is on the back burner. I’m still shipping orders, of course, when folks order stuff from my remaining stock. So we’ll see what the future holds :man_shrugging:

No. And they never will.

11 Likes

I like to think that if balance wires are shorted the kapton melting into the wires may prevent some further short, as well as it not melting in the first place ideally.

1 Like

Kapton doesn’t melt. At least the real stuff doesn’t. But propably around 60% of the stuff thats going around is fake and essentially yellow scotch tape, so yeah.

2 Likes

Truth. The fake stuff is super deceptive tho. It looks and feels almost exactly the same… it even smells the same. But it melts.

3 Likes

So how do we know its real before we click add to cart? Any reliable sources?

1 Like

We have no idea. That’s why we must buy from known, trusted sources like Digi-Key, Mouser, Techni-Tool, Allied Electronics.

If purchased from Amazon, ebay, etc., then at least test the tape with a soldering iron to make sure it does not melt. It still might not be Kapton (if that is what you wanted) but at least it’s a high temp plastic.

2 Likes

I’ve been buying locally from a 3d printer shop and its all been good. Everything i’ve gotten from ali has been fake.

2 Likes

Okay, i’ll try mine with a solder tomorrow. But if it melts… RIP my packs :skull:

2 Likes

Lol i wouldn’t be too stressed. The fake stuff is still good to a certain extent. And if your pack was getting hot enough for it to melt the tape, there were bigger issues anyway :rofl:

5 Likes

You can always look for the price, as a rough metric. If its considerably cheaper than this ↓

…it’s probably fake. These are some of the guys that make the original Kapton®.

Here’s a list of trusted manufacturers for Kapton. If you buy from one of these, you’ll get 100% the real stuff.

Is there any other sources for 50mm wide nickel strip in EU exept nkon?
It’s out of stock and an order from China may take up to two months… :face_exhaling:

1 Like

18650.club
@Anubis

1 Like

True!
They stock some 200mm wide but I thought it was a typo since they don’t have any 20mm…
Maybe @Anubis can verify, just to be clear…

1 Like

200mm wife is sheets that you can cut out
I don’t think it’s a typo but I may be wrong

So I make headway, now can anyone tell me what if anything is wrong? I charged group 11 up to 4.08V last night. Started charging through the BMS again today and it’s looking like this now.

I really don’t wanna have to desolder group 11 again to charge it.