The battery builders club

In an effort to make the Quart not need modifications to the battery box, they’ve staggered the top row of cells to make it uniform in width.

This raised the height of the pack, so the lid of the box has to be pressed down about as much as for a CBXR, applying a compression to the pack that stressed that staggered row at both the welds, and on top of the wiring that runs along it. It’s not a good idea. But “modless install” is a really nice marketing phrase.

2 Likes

I doubt that, unfortunately.

That’s a complicated question. I’ll have to answer it in a video clip a little later tonight. Part of the reason, though, is the human impulse that prevents anyone from caving to demands from others.

And again, my apologies if I seem combative. I’ll shut up now.

1 Like

I mean I have no quarrel with you lol I’m just trying to understand exactly what issues we have with their batteries

They don’t seem to be as bad as psycotiller’s worst

1 Like

Oh I agree. And I’m not at all saying this needs to be a forum-wide disdain. It’s just mine, from the experiences and private conversations I’ve had within the OW community specifically. Honestly, if the marketing weren’t so egregious I’d probably be less bitter. But it’s my own issue, not anyone else’s.

If I made it sound like I think everyone here should dislike them or their products because I personally have issues with them, then that’s a failing on my part and I am sorry for that.

:pray:

5 Likes

ahem.

Given all the different hubs people are attaching to XR rails it makes sense to sell spacers to allow another size of rail width. Not exactly clear how much wider or even what size battery the goal should be.

well the idea of stackable spacers and printing your own box easily is cool because there could be lots of adjustment and variation, but the issue of the outside bumpers needing to fit would have to be solved. So just going for one extra width and making a special bumper or floatplate. Not to mention needing mods for fitting fenders and fins.

3 Likes

Q there is never a time when you’re not designing something, of course I knew you were :stuck_out_tongue:

It looks pretty wild with the 4680 cells

I doubt they will ever be available to use but if they are, they’d probably be great candidates

2 Likes

I have a bunch of model 3 cells that came in at almost fully charged. Do I need to take all of them down to storage lv before welding them together or before I connect the P groups?

Thank you

↑ it is recommended to not weld them fully charged

6 Likes

It’s up to you based on the level of risk you’re willing to take.

Need? No.
Is it a good thing to do? Yes.

3 Likes

Crap I forgot to discharge mine and they’re glued and wrapped in fishpaper. Aaaah

time to hope for the best as they’re at 4.1v

2 Likes

If you take precautions like laying temporary stuff over short points, it’ll make it much less likely you’ll short anything

5 Likes

Do you see his title

7 Likes

So I re-built my battery. Plugged it to the charger this morning.reached green light pretty fast (under 1 hour)

The order of the groups isn’t the same cause I changed the fish paper and didn’t remember to mark the order # that was on them.
The groups were not perfectly the same voltage, I tried to get them close with a hobby charger before welding.
Anyways here are the number

1 - 4.06
2 - 4.02
3 - 4.07
4 - 4.08
5 - 4.08
6 - 4.07
7 - 4.07
8 - 4.18
9 - 4.07
10 - 4.07
11 - 4.13
12 - 4.08

I am leaving the charger on hoping it.would balance itself and I won’t need to take it apart again.

5 Likes

what do you guys think about these cells?

2 Likes

Hey, of out curiosity, how could you go about capacity testing cells at different dsicharge rates?

late fourth of july fireworks

1 Like

should I try and discharge the 2 groups that are high using a hobby charger and clamp connectors?

1 Like

I use a pair of BK Precision 8601 Electronic Loads and a pair of West Mountain Radio CBA IV Pro Battery Analyzers.

Just set the correct discharge current value and low voltage cutoff and start the unit up. The discharge stops automatically and displays the capacity it measured.

Any inexpensive China electronic load with the right voltage and current ratings that accurately measures capacity can be used though.

1 Like

Would you happen to have any recommendations or links? :pleading_face:

1 Like