The battery builders club

setting the balance turn on voltage to 3.7V (default was 4.0V) is that a bad thing?

4.0 is about what you want as balancing at lower voltages can throw a pack out of wack

1 Like

cool, thx

Brand new builder here.Seem to have run into an issue . Hoping you may have a recommendation. Issues being its no longer working. I purchased a charging port from m-board. Charging Port . And the battery was given to me by another build enthusiast. Its a samsung 36v 10ah of some sort. Since it had the same JST connector, I was advised to cut the ends of both the charging port and battery and connect them by way of soldering. Since the battery worked before, I figured it would work out just fine. Well that wasn’t the case and now doesn’t charge. Now I come to you in hopes that this is a salvageable situation.

Anyone have any advice?

1 Like

I don’t know much but If it were me I’d start by checking the polarity…from the charger all the way to the battery. I’d also check my solder job and battery/charger voltage.

1 Like

Esk8 news approved?

Would personally much prefer to see a fishpaper bridge. I also try to avoid routing near larger soldered wires because they can be sharp.

6 Likes

I would personally prefer to see a piece of fishpaper in between there, in addition to the tape.

Also that balance wire solder joint at the bottom looks very sketchy.

4 Likes

ah ok thanks. I already had FG tape there to hold the wires down so I figured it would be usable. Should I replace it or is it just something to keep in mind for the future?

also the solder joints did look janky to me too, but a hard pull didn’t move it so I decided to keep them.

You can leave the tape, but I’d definitely add a strip of FP under the wire.

1 Like

4 Likes

Perfect :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I thought this was an interesting read on spot welding technique and testing from a non hobby/PEV source:

2 Likes

@Evwan

I’d personally reflow these joints so they’re a bit more cohesive. I’m not sure if it matters though.

4 Likes

I chose not to as they didn’t budge after a hard pull and I don’t wanna keep heating up the cells

2 Likes

looking for a 12s smart bms. dont wanna make a thread for it but if you have one (preferably LLT) ill take it.

@ZachTetra

All the ones I have are reserved for a personal build, sorry

2 Likes

I got some

im mad that batteryhookup is out of tesla model 3 cells and I’m even more pissed at myself for procrastinating purchasing them

2 Likes