The battery builders club

We can get them on this forum or your could go over there for em.

3 Likes

Thanks!
A modular battery is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but didn’t have the ability to do all the mechanical stuff (no 3D printer) that is needed. LOL…didn’t have the time either.

It would be great to see him succeed!

2 Likes

Hey! Thank you for redirecting me here! Ill create a thread asap

3 Likes

Balance wires should be deck side or enclosure side?

I velcro it facing up to the deck, so it faces the enclosure. Do put a layer of 2mm foam or similar so it has some cushion

1 Like

Hey! I published a build here too! If you have any feedback I’d be more than happy to hear them!

3 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t understand…So the wires are flush with the deck or enclosure? clean build BTW

Welcome to esk8.news!

1 Like

Depends. While building, I put them on top of the battery, and usually that means they end up board side. However some folks attach the battery to the deck, so it’d be enclosure side.

Depends on where the battery is going.

Here they’re going to end up board side. This pack will sit as is into an enclosure.

But here they’ll end up enclosure side.

7 Likes

In my opinion, it depends on how the battery will be mounted. If you mount the battery to the deck (so the enclosure is just a dust cover, not supporting anything but itself), then I would put the balance wires enclosure-side, so they aren’t squished between the battery and the deck.
If the battery is in the enclosure, and the enclosure is supporting the battery’s weight, then I would probably put the wires on the board side, so they don’t get squished between the enclosure and the battery.

Basically it all comes down to what direction the prevailing forces are, and then going the opposite.

The name of the game is preventing the balance wires from getting pinched, chafed, squished or otherwise mangled by repetitive forces.
As long as you can negate that (foam cushioning so the forces are redirected to where the wires are not, for example), then it doesn’t really matter.

4 Likes

Oh ok, I get it now. I’ll be mounting to the deck so for me it means they’ll be enclosure side. Thx @MysticalDork @TheBoardGarage @Linny

4 Likes

What factors should be considered in evaluating the safety of a battery build?

More or less completely dependent on the use case but lets say you duck taped it to a skateboard deck and then gave it to the mob at a skatepark.

I think a big one is how undue/excessive flexing, vibration, impact, or abrasion would affect the pack. Will it go open-circuit? lose a balance lead? short a P-group? Short the whole pack?

We build for the edge cases, as best we can.

2 Likes

I’d note how many board slides it would take to reach thermal runaway, and then give a rough rating on my fire scale.

One board slide?

:fire::fire::fire::fire:/5

1 Like

Guys pls let me know if im correct with the nickel strips arrangement for a llt smart bms 16s
I just want to be on save side
So the first strip goes to the black wire of the balancing leads which is the negative pole of the battery then all others follow with the positive pole till the last one which is the positive of the battery am i right?

Thx very much in advance

1 Like

Yes. First (black) lead to the main negative lead/pole, then on the same p-group positive, then all the way to the last p-group all postive.

1 Like

Thx very much man!!

Dont forget to disconnect the the BMS beforehand.

3 Likes

This is very important!!!

1 Like

ok thx very much