The battery builders club

Yeah, they’re a great seller. Even if you order much more, it’s still only $13-15. And the price is awesome considering how things go these days.

4 Likes

Co-sign. Intl shipping is even reasonable and that’s saying something considering how we get scalped buying shit from south of the 49th.

I do all bullets with butane now. Easy peasy.

1 Like

They’re about 50 miles away lol

2 Likes

It’s like the rain at the end of a drought :slightly_smiling_face:

I have to remember to tell them I don’t need the individual boxes next time… I hope they are recycleable

8 Likes

Anyone know where i could buy some 0.2mm by 30mm wide pure nickel without waiting a decade on shipping times, my main supplier @BenjaminF sold out (hes not my supplier i just usually buy nickel from him if that wasnt obvious lol)

1 Like

ebay has a bunch of stuff. cant vouch for the quality but this seems to be what ur looking for

1 Like

dam that seller is away but cheers for the link m8, if anyone else got links dont be shy to drop em.

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=0.2+x+30mm+nickel+strip&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=0.2mm+x+30mm+nickel+strip&_osacat=0

just look around

2 Likes

joey just came in clutch for ya boi he has a big ol roll he not using imma snag from him

3 Likes

I’ve bought from em before, in my experience their nickel is legit – at least from my first order. I ordered again recently and will do another brine test.

Potential noob question:

I’m borrowing a SQ-SW1 spot welder but there’s been a change of plan with batteries so I’m sourcing lipos. The sequre page recommends 5Ah 60C, and those aren’t insanely expensive or anything from hobbyking. Something like this seems over the spec and from a decent brand

But would it make sense to just get a few cheaper ones and parallel them up? My logic is is that a single big 3S lipo isn’t much use to me outside of this one weld job, and I could repurpose 4 small ones as a flight safe 12S pack. Also 4 spreads the load, and still works out cheaper. Something like this:

I feel like I should probably just be generous and get a 3S and send it along with the welder to the next person, but it does complicate shipping and potentially cause more trouble than its worth on top of adding a decent cost

1 Like

It’s fine to use more than 1 pack and wire them up in parallel (I think that’s what most people do if they’re not using car batteries) but I’d make sure the C rating is still 60 or more. Higher the C rating the better, especially for spot welding. It means the welder can send more current through each weld and you won’t need as long of a pulse length to get good welds.

1 Like

I agree with @YeetMeat, having a higher C rating is always better. The C rating of Li-Po batteries are very often exaggerated, even from reputable brands like Turnigy. Those little 25C ones will get very hot with the stress of welding, even with 4 in parallel. They might not even put out enough power to make a decent weld.

If you do decide to connect some in parallel (whether it is the little 25C ones or the proper 60C ones), make sure you pay attention to your connecting wiring. Use heavy gauge wire and short lengths on all your cables to minimize voltage drop and heating.

3 Likes

Right I hate C ratings because they don’t tell you real current, multiplying by the capacity every time just to get in the way grrr. Did the maths and I’d actually need like 6 of the small ones to match the current of the big one so it doesn’t make sense for price, I’m actually fairly sure it would be much better for the batteries because power losses (therefore heat) is ( I² )x( R ) so running 10A in two batteries vs 20A in one generates ~4 times less heat in each instead of just half, plus it’s spread over a larger area. Resistance of the small ones would be higher, but I’m still 90% sure that squared still has us covered.

There is one pack that would be suitable (2 in parallel gives the same current as one of the big boys) and the price is the same as 1 of the big one. Miiight just go for that because it’s the slightly fancier turnigy LiHV stuff

Just to get some more eyes on it for safety and shizz

2 Likes

Where do you guys source your 70mm fishpaper from?
Prices on ali could be better tbh, and when buying ali alibaba it costs nothing but shippins like 300$

1 Like

Right I gave in and just got a chonky one, it was actually cheaper than the other option but the shipping from hong kong was a bit harder to swallow

@Anubis seems to have a source in Europe (maybe UK?)

1 Like

looking for a supplier also