The battery builders club

IMO, none.
The voltage under load is a “phantom” voltage, just a byproduct of the gradient in the distribution of the ions. Once you remove the load the ions settle back into place and the higher true cell voltage (the “resting voltage”) is what you see.

This assumes we are just talking about voltage and are ignoring any damage from heating and any loss of capacity from lithium plating out at excessive discharge rates.

3 Likes

Get a solder gun 100 watts

1 Like

Shit bro.
Hold my beer.

5 Likes

:joy: :joy:

Running a single 4s battery over there? /s

1 Like

Nah. Trying to kill my 12s7p p42a…

1 Like

I haven’t bought from Battery Junction in a couple years, but they were always my go to for lithium primaries when I was heavier into flashlights. They were always good, and the light community generally had high opinions of them.

1 Like

Those are the factors that I would be really interested in finding out, if you have any data/experiences.

Almost no accelerated aging at under 45°C or so (“warm”) and below the continuous current rating. Just the normal cycle life aging and calendar (time-based) aging.

• At about 60°C you really start aging the cells a lot faster.
  • At about 75°C the electrolyte wants to boil and the exothermic reactions that can eventually lead to thermal runaway get started. That heat needs to be let out.
  • At about 115°C-135°C the plastic separator between the positive and negative portions of the cell starts to melt. Some are made to partially melt to close off ion flow and shut down the cell. Other separators just melt and fail and let the two sides of the cell touch. This is verrrrrrry bad.

Too many variables to quantify what different discharge current levels do in terms of degree of damage but more amps = more bad.

Temperature is usually the limiter here though unless pulsing. The internal hotspots still zap the cell though and Li plating can still occur if just pulsing but there’s no way to know how badly. Staying under the continuous rating is our only defense against these unknowns.

Voltage sag results in crappy performance at high discharge levels anyway. The delivered Wh (energy) really drops off fast when going near or over the continuous rating.

5 Likes

you probably know by now but. Furthest from the notch.

I wouldn’t trust anyone to tell me this though… I’d check myself.

dear god the number of votes for hot glue is enough to bring back @kook

guess i like it then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info Mooch!

3 Likes

I wonder if this could be to do with deforming the nickle around the probe shape providing more surface contact

I’d use hot glue over mixing used cells / overloading cables and connectors any day. Hot glue becomes soft over 80deg - 200 c your cells have Magee issues at then temps so you have biger issues than glue re solidifying

It’s a case of picking your battles

1 Like

I had thought about this the other day, and I guess it’s true. Why would they make the separator so low temperature? If a pack goes into runaway, couldn’t adjacent cells separators be melted and go into runaway even if they were ok?

How are you liking the KWeld probes on the Malectrics? I still have a set, but haven’t changed them out yet. Anything specific to do once they’re set up, or do they just take different pulse length settings?

2 Likes

I really like these probes for the simple fact that you can remove the tips and chuck them up in a drill to sharpen them real quick.

However, they get insanely hot compared to the Malectrics probes. I dont think this is due to the probes themselves, rather I think it is the 8AWG cables vs the 7AWG cables on the Malectrics probes. I think im going to try swapping to a thicker wire and see if these run cooler.

That’s why my kWeld ProbeGripz are taking so long, because I am playing around with thickness of materials to figure out what is needed to keep your fingers cool.

I didn’t have to adjust my weld settings at all really. I was surprised.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Higher temp rated plastics might not have the qualities they need to act as a separator?

Yes, you’re right about runaway. One of the definitions for it is at the pack level, how one cell burning up can heat up adjacent cells enough for them to burn up too. This then spreads throughout the pack with most or all of the cells being destroyed.

The separator melts at a very high temperature though, far beyond what any cell should experience. Designing a cell to withstand, let’s say, 200°C probably won’t make much of a difference if it’s already reaching the 115°C-135°C needed to melt the separator. Something is already very, very wrong.

But it doesn’t have to be due to the separator melting and short-circuiting the cell. At a high enough temperature the materials are decomposing and creating so much heat from those reactions that the cell goes into runaway all by itself. It doesn’t need the heat from a short-circuit to start it.

3 Likes

Can a e-switch be added to a llt bms afterhand?

I believe that the e-switch has to be enabled in the firmware of the BMS, which is programmed by the factory. They may be able to provide you with the firmware for you to flash to the BMS yourself, if you email them.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to do that