The battery builders club

At 2.5V it’s already dead. :slightly_smiling_face:
There’s only a tiny bit of energy left in the cells at that voltage. You can just tape the connections or tabs well, to prevent a short circuit, and recycle the pack.

If you really wanted to you can discharge each cell individually to zero volts but it’s not needed.

DO NOT TRY TO DISCHARGE A LIPO PACK TO ZERO VOLTS!

If the cells are not balanced at those low voltages (they’re not) then you can easily drive one cell to below zero volts. If you continue to discharge the pack then that cell is now essentially being charged in reverse and that can lead to a fire and or bursting of the cell.

6 Likes

Weird, I guess wherever I read that about puncturing it was incorrect. I haven’t needed to dispose of any recently

1 Like

There is a stunning amount of bad and even dangerous info out there about LiPo’s. :slightly_smiling_face:

What did they say the puncturing did to help? I can’t imaging how they could think that releasing toxic organic solvents and lithium salts would be helpful or how possibly short circuiting cells that might not have been completely discharged would help.

Even if the cells weren’t shorted and no electrolyte leaked out, how can they say puncturing helps versus just discharging and taping the pack up? I am definitely confused. :thinking:

2 Likes

All I did was use a bulb for about 30 seconds (only amount of time it stayed lit) checked it with the mulitmeter, (still 7v) and then threw it in salt water with the leads cut off

Is that wrong?

I don’t even remember, I have never done this to a cell but I thought it was on some recycling thing. Forget it anyway lol your way sounds less dangerous in the first place

:scream::scream::scream: How did this salt water thing ever get started?
Never, ever use this method.

We don’t need to discharge the packs in the first place. Just tape them up.
Salt water discharging is incredibly slow and causes electrolysis destruction of the tabs, exposing the inside of the cells and creating toxic sludge water if you let it go far enough, and never fully discharges the cells anyway. If the tabs are gone we have no way of confirming that the cells are discharged either.

It’s just not needed.
I accept that it’s a very popular bit of advice for many web sites but they’re all just repeating something they have heard about from somewhere else. Here are my tests for round cells, where the metal is a lot thicker than what LiPo’s use:

6 Likes

Dammit, I was saving up all my lipos and liions so I could use them as archery target practice

5 Likes

I mean you still could :shushing_face: but maybe the environment and your health won’t agree

1 Like

I think that’s what Samsung, Murata, and LG recommends. Shotguns work well too.
umm
just kidding folks (because there’s always someone who believes me when I say stuff like this). :grin:

8 Likes

This is so weird. I just asked Molicel what I should do with my old cells and they said “juggling practice.” Its crazy how different products need such different disposal methods!

7 Likes

Wow, I just put my puffy lipos in recycling bins outside Starbucks :man_shrugging: guess this too is a no no?

5 Likes

You’re my hero lol

8 Likes

@Trampa i head last week they are not worth it.

3 Likes

I read they supply only 21A

And work only with 18550 cells :joy:

4 Likes

Fogstar has really good prices, fast shipping and its legit

3 Likes

Fogstar hasn’t got 30 and 50mm

I sent a request to nkon, they will stock wide nickel soon :slight_smile:
(okay not so soon, they told me 12 weeks before you can order it xD)

Also nkon is a tad cheaper for me (especially cells) because no import tax from GB

2 Likes

what import tax? aren’t we all still in EU, so no import tax before 1/1/2021?

1 Like

Pretty sure I got this from fogstsr

2 Likes

you got that from me, from Aliexpress :joy:

4 Likes