The battery builders club

What do you mean by smart charger? Do you need a charger that can balance cells?

Do you have a BMS that can cut the incoming charge?

R25 30Q VTC5A all from Nicon if a cell is dropping it’s storage charge quicker than others then as fare as I’m concerned there’s some internal issue I put it to one side and thay just sit there until thay go bad :man_shrugging:. Not worth saving a few £ and have it bring a group down or reduce the pack overall capacity/IR. cells are only as strong as there weakest link in a pack.

I got 6 R25 that are at 0.005V died in a box on my shelf all picked out when building packs. Use them to calibrate my welder every so often Mostly I fined when I buy cells thay are with in 0.03V of eatch other and just match them up in groups normally end up with them no more then 0.004V

As much as I’d like to test IR I just fined it’s widely different on each devise I tested it on and don’t trust them

1 Like

Some are pricey over 60v 10A they’re too expensive.

@RyEnd I’ll check out the DIY way as I already have 2 or 3 old pc PSU not being used other wise i’ll probably go with the gophert 6011

I meant with variable voltage - amps forgot the term smh

Only charge li-ion with CC-CV

If you go to cheap you get a supply with a lot of noise. Personally I’m going more and more with Meanwell HLG as chargeres as thay seem to consistently have better quality than most supposed quality charger manufactures do. Down side is thay don’t have a indicator led or relay to turn off when the charger has no power. Every charger I had never cut of the supply to the battery it just held it at the max voltage

I’m not surprised 600W is a lot to regulate

1 Like

Agreed!

The IR-testing feature in chargers is essentially useless…as you have experienced. I’ve been using two of the earlier version of the ESR Meter sold at ProgressiveRC for over ten years now. They’re accurate and consistent for measuring DC IR: https://www.progressiverc.com/collections/battery-testers/products/lipo-esr-meter-mark-ii

For measuring AC IR you can’t beat the YR-1030 or YR-1035 available from AliExpress. They’re within 10% of the readings from my BK Precision BA6010 Battery Analyzer.

3 Likes

I built this a little while ago and still use it for everything. Works up to 12s if you are fine charging to ~4.16v per cell.

2 Likes

Yeah, 60V <=5A can be found pretty cheap though. I wouldn’t do anything sensitive with it, but for charging, it’s fine.

Don’t forget you’ll still need a way to balance the pack at least on occasion.

1 Like

this is back in stock

2 Likes

I would love one of these!
Of course, it is both out of my price range AND out of stock.

Whelp, I tried.

1 Like

Edit: NOT NEEDED

Does anyone have some P42A cells from batch 2J905 it 2JC25? I was going to make a 12s2p but @kook was questioning my Tetris game so now I’ve gotta make a 12s3p and I’m one cell short. I have 31 cells from the 905 and 4 cells C25 batch

12S LTT BMS is under the Unity, it’ll just barely fit but I’m like 95% sure this is possible

2 Likes

damn you’re getting specific on which batch you want! wow we really are picky

1 Like

Ehh, doesn’t hurt. I’m thinking either I get 12 cells and each group has 2:1 ratio of I just get 6 have 2 parallel groups of the off cell

1 Like

IIRC they’re made in batches so that would give you some time to buy a few lottery tickets. :grin:

2 Likes

Of the 905 batch I have 30 at 3.53v and 1 at 3.52V

Of the C25 batch I have 2 at 3.54v and 2 at 3.53v

1 Like

@longhairedboy @Skyart If I need to save every last milimeter of length on a battery should I do a folded pack or just a standard semi flex pack? It’s a 6 by 6 12s3p with cells running axially

1 Like

I’ve got some in northern California

2 Likes

I realized it wouldn’t be worth the effort so I just bought them from IMR

3 Likes

if the board’s nose is north you can use folded nickel east to west but not north to south, you risk stressing the welds with flex. You could use copper braid if space consumed by series wiring is a concern.

3 Likes

This is the one I use on my bike. 20s10a

2 Likes

When substituents are in the axial position, there tends to be more unfavorable interactions with other axial atoms on the same side. … When substituents are in the equatorial position, they are farther away from each other. This increases the stability of the conformation.

4 Likes