The battery builders club

Thanks. I just checked what happens if you put it at 0. You have no brakes lol

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get some opinions on cells, specifically the insulation at the top.

Background:
I’m building a 4s7p pack to use in a power bank for my Onewheel/eskates. I had intended on using Samsung 50e cells, but then 18650BatteryStore had a sale on their rewrapped 50g cells (they were $5 a piece) so I ordered those.

Having them in front of me, the positive terminal is sunken lower than I’ve seen on most cells. It looks like there’s an insulation ring on the positive, under the wrap. And the wrap itself is noticeably thicker than the wraps of the other 21700 cells I have laying around. I have a few, mostly P42a’s and a couple of 40T’s that I use in flashlights.

It looks like these cells were rewrapped and insulated for use in vapes, which would make sense with how those cells are treated in the machines.

My question is, given how sunken the positive terminal is (about 1mm below the wrap surface) and the rigidity of the surrounding wrap, do I still need to add fishpaper rings at the positive?

It doesn’t look like it needs it with this rewrapping job, and I’m unsure if the further sinking down would have an effect on the welds to the nickel strip when I start assembling.

These aren’t going in a board, they’re going in an enclosure to use as a portable charge bank. So they won’t be subject to particularly high stress.

I’ll include pictures.

3 Likes

Paging @Skyart

I’m building a double stack 21700 in the flux enclosure, (more like tessellated so it fits) similar to yours:
Skyart Flux batt
I think a roll of 50mm wide nickel would properly fit the cells and fold over with ample room for series connections. The enclosure is like 40mm deep so I think I would have enough to bend over, maybe 15mm or so to solder on. It wouldn’t be touching the bottom of the enclosure as there is a few mm of cell it isn’t touching; as you can see in @ZachTetra’s orientation
07cf387ab8eca65b037b64dc810e73237a581363_2_375x500

What do you think?

2 Likes

If you don’t mind, where do you source that sizing of nickel?

2 Likes

@ZachTetra’s suggestion of Steel City on AliExpress.

4 Likes

Wide nickel strips?

4 Likes

Many thanks!

2 Likes

I just made a 15S lifepo4.

sitting at 42V

so

hook it up to a 13S li-ion charger now?
@MysticalDork

tight pattern!

1 Like

Not mine!

2 Likes

nonetheless

1 Like

54.75V full charge, so yeah, a 54.6v 13s LiIon charger will work nicely.

2 Likes

The tightness is the rightness :smile:

2 Likes

i wish i could see well enuff to weld consistently in that tight of a grouping…

maybe I should just send ya my Kweld and have you weld up my Pgroups…

:crazy_face: :eyes: :thinking:

3 Likes

This is 25mm folded over and 37mm for the full side, I think 50mm will work really well, you’ll probably have extra on the top honestly.

3 Likes

If you can get your hands on 50mm nickel yeah. That would work well! And also send me some lol :sweat_smile::laughing:

3 Likes

I mean I’m not opposed to this plan :yum:

1 Like

Cool! Got 5 meters of the .2 thick stuff on the way then. I’ll send you most of what I don’t use (likely a bunch lol).

2 Likes

see @ZachTetra… that is almost eggzakery my weld dispersion pattern…

:eyes: :eyes: :wink:

EDIT:

I do know how to size nickel and make corners… so I usually have more nickel to hit… but yeah… that’s basically it…

2 Likes

Dang that would be legit