The battery builders club

I’m getting 40.6 off the connector and 42.2 off the charge port; I mean the charge port earlier as well.

I don’t see a (B-) connection.

Without it it won’t charge

2 Likes

I thought it was only necessary if there wasn’t continuity between the B- balance lead and B- pad on the BMS?

If not, I’ll change it right now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have always connected B-
I don’t think it can hurt. I would bet a Daly 12s BMS that that’s the problem.

5 Likes

Alrighty, thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated

1 Like

Hello everyone.

I’m deciding what 18650 cells I should buy for my low-weight build. Battery config is a little bit wonky one, since I’m restricted with 100 wh limit (Airplane limit), so 10s1p is obvious chose here, due to small dimensions, and standardized voltage. So what do you think about vtc5a cell for 10s1p? 93.6 wh and 35A discharge. Kinda impressive for a tiny battery.

Well, stress on the battery is not going to be huge, since board will be geared for torque on 83mm wheels. I know, it’s not going to let me fly to the moon and back, but who really cares, If it is commuting board for 145 lbs guy?

That is exactly what Hoyt St does for their batteries, they use 3 blocks in parallel and each block is a 10s1p 25R with a discharge BMS. Using only 1 block will be rather weak though, I would suggest using 2

The other way to do this is have 2 smaller batteries in series, for example you can have 2 6s1p P42A batteries which would have much better performance if you raise the gear ratio and the ESC can handle 12s

Here is the Hoyt stuff, the charge and discharge port is the same and limited to 40A or so, that way there is no extra wires for charging

1 Like

Glad to hear that.
Yeah, I could use 2p, but additional 470g is about 8-10% of the board theoretical weight, bruh.

Typical distance while commuting to the university is 4-5 km back and forth. No reason to grab spare weight with me. But if I have to, I can grab second battery, since I’m going to make ‘em hot-swappable

Thank you for links, but I live in Russia, so shipping doubles the price. Moreover, I tend to be true DIYer, so I don’t use pre-built bms and controllers/receivers, and creating them from scratch for my application

Build thread is definitely on the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to get it through airport security then appearance is everything, make sure the pack looks super neat. You can buy 5x2 or 10x1 abs cell holders on AliExpress and a low profile Daly 10s discharge 40A BMS, wrap it up with opaque shrink wrap and print out a sticker that clearly marks it so it looks professional

I’d suggest the 40A common port
US $13.02 16% Off | Daly Battery pack bms 10S 36V 15A 20A 30A 40A 60A BMS Used for 36v 10ah 35ah 60ah battery 60A continuous With balance function

3 Likes

I never had dead Daly bms. Often, when you connect it, output on charging port is some low number, like15-20v. All you have to do is plug in charger and voltage will turn into correct one, even after you unplug charger. I have also seen chargers that won’t charge if battery voltage is too low for them. If this is combination that @YeetMeat has, it might be enough to try different charger.
Also, bear in mind, if one or more balance wires are disconnected, daly will start to behave differently. It will again output some strange voltage and won’t want to charge. At least that was my experience.

1 Like

As I already metioned, DIYing as much as possible is my way to go.
For example, this is my RX that I bult 1 year ago:

And this is 3d model of 12s balance board with individual cell balancing current adjustment:

And so on and on.
Talking about battery, it is going to have bms not inside it, but insinde the electronics’ part of enclosure, so professional estetics of the battery remains unharmed. But printed sticker is really cool idea, thanks

5 Likes

Oh damn you’re really going for it, color me impressed

3 Likes

@tinp123 I don’t have a Daly BMS; I got lazy last night and didn’t solder the extra wire but it’ll get done today.

@kntzn you’re craaaaazy bro. Those look great

2 Likes

Yeah, esk8 made it possible for me to master a lot of skills. Never etched a pcb, or even built a circuit before gained interest in esk8ing.

So, battery building and fiberglass are also on the way in the nearest 6 months.

3 Likes

Are they paying you for all the advertising?

IDK why it popped up all huge like this lol

Super small, easy to use, everything we need for most cases. I love that they are sealed

I mean I’m not above selling out for them though…

2 Likes

Don’;t forget about the 13s tho. Doesn’t actually do balancing, I didn’t learn that until after making 3 batteries with that BMS

2 Likes

Wait really?

1 Like

yeah lemme see if i can find the link

@ZachTetra

Interesting…I wonder why