The battery builders club

You could just buy pre welded groups, I’m in the party of have nice things if you have things at all so kWeld all the way

2 Likes

Malectrics has been treating me really well. I run it with a car battery, so if you drive and you dont mind lugging it in and out of the house, you can save on lipos and a charger.

4 Likes

+1 what @ZachTetra and @BenjaminF said.
I have both Malectrics and Kweld, both are excellent if you go that route.

Welded P groups might be the way to go if you don’t want the welder right now.

2 Likes

hey, out of curiosity, has anyone built with fogstars .2 x 25mm nickel?

Yes, they’re great. Adjustable parameters over BT, temp sensors, balance delta control, charge voltage cut off is adjustable, monitor the groups etc etc

Unless there’s a size issue, they’re going in every battery I build now.

@thisguyhere sells them stateside

5 Likes

What size issue? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

@BenjaminF can you explain this to me, I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on. Your balance leads are broken by a (GK-13-ish style?) connector for what purpose?

1 Like

So he can mount have the BMS unit externally. The balance leads from the battery go to the connector. He then plugs the charger into a dc plug mounted near the BMS. Actually his BMS is right on top of his charger.
I’m still considering doing this with the bustin.

@BenjaminF I have a bunch of questions. Is that a 1+ inch riser on the enclosure? And the plugs coming out the bottom? Any impacts?

4 Likes

huh…is it just a space-saving strategy? Save the space on the inside you’d be using for a BMS? What’s the point? It’s really cool regardless.

2 Likes

Yea, save the space where the BMS would be.

You just can’t charge your board without it and it makes the charger a little clunkier.

Unless you also have a port for charging. Because you can charge without a BMS.
I’m actually not sure what’s involved. If you are checking the cells on the BMS frequently this is fine. But if you get some drift, charging without a BMS has the potential to way overcharge a cell.

Would love to hear how you’re working with this @BenjaminF

It looks like a GX20 connector. You need to run all of the balance leads and a positive lead.

3 Likes

good deal, thanks for explaining =)

Does it mean the current (say 8a) is split amongst each balance lead? Am I understanding this setup right?

It seems like a lot of heckmeck and potential failure points just to save a few square inches of space

Nah, all the charge current still runs through the (+) and (-) leads. The balance wires just bleed off cells that are higher until they match the rest

3 Likes

Depending on the enclosure I have gotten whole p groups to fit by ditching the BMS.

5 Likes

There is no more failure points than having the bms installed (assuming charge only bms).
There is even the advantage that the bms will definitely not drain your pack to 0V with this method :sweat_smile:
I did charge my packs like this before I had a proper 12s hobby balance charger.
The only down side is that you need to plug in 2 plugs (charge barrel and balance wire plug) instead of just the one barrel plug.

One more plus, you need only one bms for X packs with the same voltage.

2 Likes

what about all these?

5 Likes

Ohh so there’s a plug for balancing and a separate one for normal charging?

Hm, ok I do not understand this connections.
I would make the balance wires directly long enough that they reach from the cell till the 13pin plug.

1 Like

2 Likes