Temperature cutoffs with Lacroix Nazaré motors

Maytech motors with the big end bearing (such as the lonestar motors) do run warmer than most. If you push them hard at high speed then they will overheat.

Iirc Maytech 63100 motors are rated for operation at up to 115°. Add long as you stay below this temperature you shouldn’t see any long term degradation in motor performance.

Also the VESC defaults are usually conservative and the the names of the values in the VESC tool don’t really explain well how those values work.

For example. If motor cut start is at 85° and motor cut end is as 100° (defaults) then when would you expect the VESC to start reducing acceleration power?

If you guessed 76° you’d be correct. And there will be 0% acceleration power by 89°. Couldn’t you work that out in your head?

This is to leave some headroom in reserve to allow decent breaking with warm motors.

Instead, here’s what has worked for me in the past . . .

If you set the cutoff start at 100° and end at 130° with 20% decrease (sounds rediculous right) then you will actually start losing power at 85° and have 0% acceleration closer to 110°. This is still well within the same limits for the motor and the higher decrease value means it will come in much smoother.

This means if your already on the throttle limit then go down a mountain it may theoretically be possible to push those Motors over the 115° limit. But this would be very rare and personally I’d rather I always have breaks, even if it means things overheating.

These numbers come from this super useful calculator

20 Likes

That’s a good point. I figured it would give some sense of the issue, but you’re right, can and stator temps are different.

I actually did not know about this, super useful. I guess this explains why I had really terrible braking performance when I was nearing 80 degrees. So bad in fact that I underestimated how long I’d need to stop and basically ran into the back of a parked car

2 Likes

Holy hell. I’ve observed exactly this and have wondered why I was seeing throttling below the soft cutoff value.

Nice work Q

9 Likes

I like to stick to things I personally know when I give advice. Building, I know. This, not so much. If the problem persists after the settings recommended (you were correct btw) I would strongly suggest contacting our support. They will sort it out in bigger detail and get everything working the way it was intended to.

2 Likes

Dude, that’s a proper eye-opener. Thanks for sharing! I think even Frank learned something there!

OP mentioned he did contact support and that they said the same as you: “you need to update your settings.” It’s nothing personal, man.

Thanks for confirming those values. I guess the Accel Decrease value will also be very relevant then. I can check that later (edit: done).

5 Likes

I got a new reply, they told me to leave the settings as they are as I have an iOS device and „what we put in is the best for our boards“.
Changing settings would possibly void my warranty.
Not sure what to do with that information as of now.

Acceleration temperature decrease was implemented years back, so that there is always headroom for the brakes to work. The problem we had before that implementation was the loss of brakes when the motor or ESC reached cutoff temp. Now the acceleration is decreased x percent before you reach the final cutoff value. As standard that is 14% and it affects motor and Mosfet temp. You can’t accelerate any more, but brakes still work.

Going higher with the final cutoff temp helps a bit, since the power decrease is ramped in a linear way in between cutoff start and cutoff end. The further these values sit apart, the less power is reduced in the beginning of the temp protection. However, once the motor is too warm, the FOC detection parameters are possibly not matching the real motor resistance values any more. The hot motor has a higher resitance… Without FOC temperature compensation you could enter the trouble zone after x °C temp rise. If you start riding with a 20°C motor and you increase the temp by 90°C, the resistance of the motor could have changed by more than 5%. And that value should be 5% precise for FOC operation.

Also there is that effect that a hot motor is running less efficient and generates even more heat. Once you enter that state, a higher value for Motor Temp Cutoff End will not help a lot. Maybe you gain a couple of minutes in ride time…

3 Likes

Naw, you’re good. The Stormcore is intended to be user configurable, you should just be very careful in making changes to your config. It’s not something to do without doing your research and understanding the changes you’re making (which is why you’re here :wink:)

If you’re on iOS (or Android) you can use https://FreeSK8.app to change settings/check stats

1 Like

Thanks, I will check the freesk8 app.
All these settings and the meanings behind them are very overwhelming but I shall persevere :wink:

3 Likes

The fact you even said this means you already starting to understand parts. There’s a lot of confusion. VESC It’s well known for its interface not been user friendly and confusing labaling.

I’d drop the motor temp cut off start down a bit this will reduce the available power earlier as things heat up and should take longer befor you hit the cut off end.

It’s a matter of playing around with what works best for you and your set up.

1 Like

Definitely but there’s so much yet to learn.
Also, I’m very bad a understanding something from written text, especially if it is something technical like the duty cycle.
I bet it will come to me with time.

1 Like

I believe @Trampa have some videos on the VESC tool and how some of it works. Can’t remember were but hopefully some one can drop a link.

2 Likes

I’ll check them out, thanks!

Addendum:

I found out that the motor cutoff temp is at 110C and I definitely hit that.
Today I was out again and I had brought my temperature measuring device, when I checked it said that the motors had a temperature difference of about 10C which is odd.
I thought maybe it was because the cooler motor had a looser belt which was slipping under heavy braking and the other one was quite tight.
Sounds kinda sensible.
Other than that I didn’t have cutoffs today because it was quite cool.
Otoh I’m losing range fast because of the cold :sob:

Ok, so it’s getting warmer over here and I have long stretches of road I can just open the throttle on and let er rip.
I‘m getting these cutoffs again and it sucks.
As I am now sitting on a curb letting my momos cool, I noticed the right motor was much hotter to the touch than the left one?
Does anybody know why?

Check the bearings, it might be time to replace those. Do both motors freewheel smoothly?

Motor bearings are to be treated as a consumable, especially on belt drives.

I run 6396 maytechs myself and weigh similar to you. I’ve removed the big support bearing and mounted the motors on a set of finality GDs. Have not had any overheating issues unless it gets hot outside (+35c) since then.

The big bearing is likely to fail and cause additional friction. Gear drive adds additional support to the motor shaft and also acts as a big heatsink.

1 Like

I will check that, thanks.

So it looks like the big support bearing‘s fucked.
Luckily we‘re in for bad weather and cold so I’ll be in my garage, changing bearings and while I’m at it, get some proper steel motor pullies, alu sucks.

Some notes here that you might find helpful …

1 Like