Tanuki Hubs | CF/GF hubs for esk8s | Development thread

Ok folks, as some of you may have noticed, I’m gonna try to make some CF/GF hubs. If all goes well, I make some more for peeps on here to try out. The major advantage of CF hubs will be weight. The final weight will be around ~150-160g per hub without screws or pulleys.

I’m going for forged carbon, because its easier to handle, and prototyping will be done with glass fiber cutoffs. Molds will be made from 3dp plastic for now, as my CNC ist not fully built yet.

I will update this post as development goes on. Cheers.

Update 0:

First interation, Mk1:

Rough draft print:

I already identified some major flaws and working on Mk2. So far, so good. I also looked into how CF rims get made in motor sports, and got many good ideas.

Update 1:

Sup guys, small update: Fitment is good, looks like we have a go on molds. Anything you guys can think of that I should/could do before I finalize the first draft design?

Pics:

Update 2:

That was a lot more complicated than I anticipated, my respect to people who make molds on the daily. Gonna put it into the printer tonight, and then wait 2 days.

Update 3:

New mold done.

I had to replace the PSU on the printer, so there was not much progress in the last days, that should change in the coming days.

Update 4:

First demolding done, and I’m fcking glad that no cameras were rolling because that thing put up a fight and a half. There are some major redesigns for the mold planned. :sweat_smile: Also there are a looooot of defects in the hub because I had almost double the needed amount of GF in the mix. Still, I learnt a lot of things and the next one is going to be miles better than this.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Update 5:

Front side came out perfectly. No blemishes whats’o’ever, apart from some mold lines. I’m getting the hang of it I think. I’ll make a set out of GF and the next one’s going to be CF.

Update 6:

Sup guys, long time no see. I finally found some time to pick this project up again, so I hope there will be more frequent updates in the future.

In the mean time, may I present:

Hub Mk3

I adressed a lot of problems with this version, I hope I haven’t created a lot of new ones. :sweat_smile: Next update will hopefully be a finished mold. That’s it for now, see ya 'round. :slight_smile:

PS: Thanks to @Kai for the name. :smiley:

30 Likes

i’ve always love the looks of 5 spokes wheels, me want a set for no reason

1 Like

Glad you like them. This will take quite a while though, even if everything goes perfect these will be verrrry labour intensive.

2 Likes

u have no idea how long some of my order takes to get to me :joy:

3 Likes

received_5028973260501948

4 Likes

Super cool, I wonder how hard packing will be with such a complex shape

It helps that I can split the hub in half, but not much.

Dhl, baby.
When I got a set of hubs and tires from apex, they came fully assembled and wrapped up. No box.

1 Like

I meant packing the CF into the mold haha

3 Likes

Ah, I don’t know how that works, so I assume some form of dark sorcery is involved.

2 Likes

Pretty much :laughing:

This is very cool concept! I watched a video on you tube on forged carbon fiber parts. A weight reduction in rotating weight could make a difference in both accelerating and braking.

2 Likes

Biggest plus in my eyes would be reduced energy consumption due less weight. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Could be that I’m just being stupid but doesn’t a 10kg battery mitigate any advantage of 100g lighter hubs

1 Like

Not the same thing, the battery isn’t spinning around at hundreds to thousands of RPM

3 Likes

As I should have tried to make clear,
I don’t know much about the physics but what’s the advantage of a hub being lighter
As long as it’s balanced what difference does weight make

Wheel weight contributes to rolling resistance even when board and rider weight are constant.

3 Likes

More mass (rotational inertia) in direct opposition of the applied torque will cause more effort every time you accelerate and decelerate, which can lead to lower efficiency

3 Likes

How much of a difference does it make
If I double the hub weight how much less range do I get

Dunno, it’s something I’ve wondered for a while too. Maybe I’ll get around to testing it one day

Size of wheel can have an impact too if we are going to theorize more rotational inertia = worse range

we are edging into thread clutter tho

2 Likes