Tanuki Hubs | CF/GF hubs for esk8s | Development thread

F1 being like
lol wut

5 Likes

I don’t know the math. But I do know that 1>0.X
And if everything else is constant, ie, these hubs don’t shatter, lighter hubs will be more efficient, and metal hubs will likely be more expensive. That math is in favor of these hubs.

1 Like

ok where to start
probably more freeroll? higher efficiency? less overall board weight? its fancy?

no wait, someone should make tungsten hub because lighter weight yield no benefit

1 Like

Sorry to rephrase
100g difference in weight will seemingly make no noticeable difference in a 10-20kg object
If it was a 100g lighter vesc that would make almost no difference so why is a lighter hub different

Not saying you guys are wrong just trying to understand the maths

idk man, 100g lighter vesc = less mass = faster (earlier?) thermal throttling, there is still a difference.
its not about how unnoticeable it is, its about how far we can push certain things, which i think that’s what @Linesflag is trying to achieve

1 Like

It will make quite the difference I think. Observe the difference in consumption when you change from thanes to pneumatics. One part is rolling resistance, the other part is weight.

I don’t want to go too deep into the math, but wheels get accelerated a LOT more than your board, because they not only experience linear acceleration, but also angular. And quite a lot at that. So a decrease in mass means less angular momentum needed to spin the wheels anytime you move your board, and the less energy is used.

Wheels don’t weight much compared to your board, but they get accelerated much more and much faster (in an angular direction, the linear is the same as your board, because if not, they would fly off :D), which is part of the same mathematical equation.

So decreasing the weight of the wheel will have a much greater impact on your board than decreasing the weight of your battery.

I hope that wasn’t too confusing and you get where I’m going. :smiley: If you wanna know more, you can play with some entry level physics equations and see for yourself.

5 Likes

Very interesting, looking forward to see more!

3 Likes

Not to shit in your weetbix, but a certain paedophile has already made forged carbon hubs for esk8, so these won’t be the first.

That said, I am super excited to follow your progress!

5 Likes

Oh I didn’t know about that, and I’ve never seen someone use them! Are there any pictures/links? Also I’ll change the title then, I genuinely did not know.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Dang those look nice. Must be a nightmare to demold though. Can’t wait for my CNC to be finished so I can make more complex shapes.

1 Like

Personally i think they look way too resin rich.

6 Likes

That’s the coating I think. Also those are glass fibers and color, not carbon, but cool none the less. No comment on the person though, and pls no derailing.

2 Likes

Ok
Guess I kind of get it
Gonna play round with some equations and see what I get

1 Like

Absolutely not my intention to derail. I am super excited about your project and stoked that you want to share your journey with us! Onwards and upwards! Let the swear words commence!

1 Like

That is an ugly, ugly finish. Nice shape under there though… I think… Kinda lumpy.
@linesflag use that as an example of what not to do. Don’t drench them in resin. Forged carbon looks much better. Maybe one coat at most for a candy paint look. Also don’t diddle kids.

3 Likes

lmao ok ok

Mk2 is currently waiting for print time, after all the fits are a-ok I’m starting to make the molds. I have until mid april to get the bulk of this project done, after that uni starts again and I get maybe 3h a week of shop time. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Sup guys, small update: Fitment is good, looks like we have a go on molds. Anything you guys can think of that I should/could do before I finalize the first draft design?

Pics:

4 Likes

Any reason for the hard corners?:i think a small fillet would help a lot

2 Likes

Any specific corner or all of them? :smiley:

1 Like