Tackling the anti-spark problem (Title by a good friend)

Guys, I’ve been told that most antispark switches fail at some point and that is a big headache.

That’s why I decided to first understand the reason behind those failures and then design and prototype a robust Anti-Spark Switch and based on that I will also add many functionalities to the circuit.

So I am asking for design ideas, technical issues, experiences. Any feedback will be apreciated.

Thanks
Kanber

4 Likes

Inrush protection.

/thread?

4 Likes

Search a bit here and in the other place and you will find as min two threads which address this problem.

1 Like

Thanks @Andy87 I ve checked them, I am just wondering if somebody wants to add more recent experiences or knowledge here on this thread

1 Like

Yes, protection against the inrush current caused by the esc capacitors

1 Like

Anybody used this product before ? Reliable, robust ? Any recent switches that you can suggest ?

Forum feedback is that they burn like a firecracker

11 Likes

:slight_smile: Assuming their design is perfect, 1 possible reason is that they cannot be cooled inside the closed enclosure… Other possible reason is that the rider uses a battery pack with more than 12s…

if this is the case the components or QA must be terrible

2 Likes

There design is not perfect. You need as min something like a precharge circuit. They don’t have, so they will fail sooner or later like all the others too.
Don’t want to sound rude, but if you would read through the anti spark threads and discussions you would know about that and what makes them to fail.

7 Likes

Imo the problem is in the power stage of those circuits, 1) selection of the mosfets 2) proper copper routing and then 3) providing adequate cooling…

Nobody let the aluminum fins of the switch stays outside of the casing, am I right ? Its always inside the main enclosure under the deck…

Wait a minute @Andy87 you say that there is no precharge circuit (with a proper resistor) on those antispark switches ? really ??? (Ok I will re investigate the threads once more… you are right, thanks)

1 Like

There is definitely somethings wrong yes, but nothing that we can overcome together, you have my words…

1 Like

I would say no, but i‘m no electronics engineer

2 Likes

Yes, actually I dont see a power-like resistor on the top layer, may be its in the bottom layer… Or there is none… Which would be a huge mistake…

You have a good point here now, I would like to ask, even this one also fails ??? (P.S. Iam a kind of, tiny, little in the middle, electrical & electronics engineer :slight_smile: we can solve things together)

1 Like

Gotcha ! I found a helpful comment on the voltage rating of the mosfets

But take care, the guy is a noob and a lot of what he says doesn’t make sense :smiley:

14 Likes

That sounds promising under his bahookie.:joy:

2 Likes

7 Likes

2bb1dac154f50aebb991f85eb41830157ecb5d38

3 Likes