Synchronous timing belts [SRO]

Genius. Obvious when you think about it.

2 Likes

Yes, especially because you live in a such a cool climate

2 Likes

I’ve got a pullover on.

2 Likes

If anyone with a snapped belt can mesh the teeth against a new one, I’d be interested to see the relative wear. my theory is the wear leads localized strain, effectively reducing your tooth engagement to 1.

Put enough of a point load on one tooth, and that should be enough?

Should also show stretch if the pitch doesn’t match, no?

And then whatever internal delamination of fiber from rubber/urethane allowing relative movement. That’s harder to check though

You can feel the cords inside snapping. As soon as you feel the first one, you better haul-ass to home and not put yourself in a position where brakes are important.

1 Like

I have had it happen on 2 occasions. One time I had no clue till I got home but the 2nd my board was doing weird shit so looked and broken belt. I have no defence the belt was hairy as before I left. Now I wait till they start skipping and change them out. The idler thing is real though. They get thinner progressively and the tolerances diminish.

1 Like

took your advice…you are correct sir those vbelt guys have belts galore many sizes. shipping in the U.S is fast, ordered some Friday and I’ll get them Monday (I guess it helps that I’m only 2 states away from the place :sunglasses: ).

2 Likes

So the old belts stretch don’t stretch thing is back mofos!

I have definitive proof that tb belts stretch. About 8000k’s ago I bought a belt bundle from Torque boards. 320mm 15’s. I used 2 for said 8000k’s. I have just bought another 4 bundle(stupidly as it turns out because the size is all wrong for the new thing but I digress)
So in my possession are 6 brand new 320mm belts from the same supplier. 2 from the original order and 4 from the new order and 2 that have 8000k’s on them from the original order. Got all that? Right here we go. The new ones are exactly the same size as the old unused ones. Exactly.

Wait for it…

The ones that have wear are 1.5mm bigger overall than the rest.

Smack the gavel down, drop the mike. Its confirmed!

My work here is done.

Thanks for coming.

3 Likes

Do you have any photographs?

1 Like

Pics or it didn’t happen :grinning:

4 Likes

Fucking doubters.

2 belts from the first and second order.

both belts from the first order. This one was the worst case and is significantly longer now after 8000k’s

1 Like

I think you just wore 1.5 mm off the inside of the belt. I’m not convinced it’s stretched :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh get fucked Mike. You absolute shitbag. :joy::joy::joy:
The belt is actually worn through the top due to idlers. Its noticeably thinner on the flat. Teeth are good. That one is probably 3mm bigger in reality. They stretch. Not a lot considering but they do stretch. What else do I have to do??? I’m pulling hair out here that I can’t spare

1 Like

Just to shut up the doubters (And to satisfy my curiosity lol) you should cut them open and lay them out flat.

3 Likes

I’m not cutting a brand new belt for you brother. Its just not going to happen. I’m done.
Not sure what else I can do.

Actually I will cut the 2 worn ones. See if they are variable. I tend to heelside more than toe.
More science.

For science. I can put down $5, can anyone else?

2 Likes

That is a good chart, thank you

1 Like

Naaa, it’s prolly just an optical illusion from the camera :grinning:

2 Likes

Are you familiar with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? No not Bryan Cranston the other Heisenberg. The very act of measuring the belts changes the belts.

6 Likes

Photo of the teeth meshing between old and new would show the pitch change.

1 Like