Surf Rodz Axles with integrated mounting plate

Thanks for doing the math, 0.125mm is really nothing to worry about! :sweat_smile:

P.S. I’ve heard people say to forget about using Grub Screws on Surf Rodz trucks, something about stripping the screw / it somehow scratching the axle and then ruining the inside of the hanger. Gonna agree with @Sender that “loctite and forget” is what most people will / should do

3 Likes

I do like this idea. Maybe half the thread pitch width.

I worry that in doing so we might deform the axle and make it impossible to remove.

But if the axle diameter is reduced at that point it may be OK. Say from 9.95mm down to 9.5mm - a 0.225mm reduction may be enough to avoid problems.

1 Like

I was thinking more like 8mm OD section thats 5mm wide(M5 set screw right?)

My 2 piece hanger idea thing utilizes a dog set screw to key the axle.

Loctite works and all but I have learned that people want to adjust EVERYTHING. Green loctite will make it never come out without a shit ton of heat which will kill the anodize on the hanger.

1 Like

and probably take off the helicoil with it. Or compromise it?

2 Likes

I’ve got to see the design. I’m pretty sure I understand the idea. Lemmie poke around.

1 Like

Maybe it’s worth testing if these washers are enough to stop the axle from coming out lol

1 Like

Torching the axle might work.

Hot AF though.

Nordlock washer axle with integrated mounting plate.

esk8 2020 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Huh. yes, they might work. I’d need to see what their sizing looks like.

Why not making the mounting still sit on the hanger a bit. I mean on the round end of the hanger.

1 Like

As soon as these go into a hanger they are married IMO.

At least that is how I choose to look at it. That’s the fucking beauty of it!

3 Likes

yeah if you use loctite red or green

Nahh. The green would come out fineeeee.

1 Like

Cut a recess onto the back of the mount so it rests on the hanger like this?

I had considered that. Right now the only dimension I’m relying on the the axle recess in the hanger itself. SR has to maintain that to a tight tolerance. The outer seat might not be machined to the same spec. Id rather make sure these will absolutely work with the SR spec than rely on them to make the rest of the axle the same way every time.

I really like the idea though - supporting the mount with the hanger itself.

To ensure compatibility though I think it’s gotta be a flush surface.

5 Likes

Or maybe tap a m5 thread hole onto the axle for the set screw to sit in.

1 Like

@KaramQ @rusins @Itsmedant @Saturn_Corp @Brenternet @moon @mmaner @Grozniy @Arzamenable @Sender @Skunk @Quiles @Winfly @Boardnamics @XTLA

I want to thank you for your feedback so far!

12 Likes

Sadly, this probably won’t work. I cannot say with certainty that the hangers are tapped in the same orientation every time. If they were then it could work.

1 Like

That will definitely support any super surges of high torque from a motor if the hangar has a bit of meat in there.

Super technical I am

3 Likes

I agree with the others, awesome design! I would be worried a little bit about the axles coming out but if the loctite solves that, then sobeit. I assume that you plan to make these out of steel, since aluminum would probably bend and isn’t that great for small axles.

I can’t imagine there being any problem with it being a semi-permanent or permanent install, who even changes their axles anyway? If you are gonna have 10mm axles, might as well have them permanently and just deal with different size bearings. I like that the mount is integrated into the axle because it takes out one more moving part, and one more tolerance that you don’t even have to worry about! Totally innovative.

I have to wonder if the sudden jolts of hitting something on the ground (scraping the plate) would want to work the bolts out. Maybe something like reverse threading them would help with that - if you thread one right hand and one left hand, then no matter if a mount plate hits the ground, it will only tighten it further rather than bumping it loose. My TB mounts have taken a beating and they are made out of steel. The ground scrapes happen no matter what, although I am running 90’s.

We just need to be able to get Surfrodz hangers now haha

2 Likes

Again, I will try to call them and see if we can buy a batch of hangers for a discount or something. No axles.

But they are a fickle crew to try and work with.

3 Likes