Summerboard SBX Supermod

This thread is a guide on how to make that.

its pretty much the same as any diy esk8 build. There are loads of guides out there. Jump in!

1 Like

Okey, I haven’t done any DIY stuff yet but I’ll definitely want to make a battery swap mysef, if there’s any good step by step video on how to do that? Would be awesome!

1 Like

Basically like this but in the SBX box so it would be way more PITA to make a video about.

My SBX esc and remotes are all broken from regular use so I can’t tell you exactly how to mod your board. Only what I know works, as depicted above.

1 Like

From this post it appears there is a way to get the ESC to work with any battery.

1 Like

I need a battery like this, anyone can do that for me?=)

1 Like

[WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

1 Like

just do that lipo thing.

2 Likes

on a SBX lipos work pretty damn well. No crazy high power draw uphills (capacity concern wise)

I would like to know Wh/mi or range with SBX Powerballs vs Freshies 3.0/1.0

Hi SpeedDemon, I’m instrested about your DIY setup. Since my SBX motherboard facing issue, (one side voltage and current is abnormal, seems the resistance is not work for one side) I’m chasing them for a repairing or replacement but Summerboard CS seems go round in circles (they are just keep asking me for photos and video instead of asking me to ship it back to them), So I would like to know if changing the whole ESC is a best option. May I know whether only need to replace below items is enough to make the SBX works?

• Go-FOC DV4 esc
  • flipsky vx2 remote (is flipsky vx4 remote also support?)
  • 10s5p 11ah battery (Do you know the spec of Summerboard official original battery? If I use 10s5p, the performance is better or worse?)

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Should work with these parts. I only have used the vx1 and vx2 so I wouldn’t know about the later versions. avoid vx1 its trash. I have 2 vx2s and they are good as long as you don’t live in highly populated areas. I live in nyc and I have quick cutouts in certain areas of the city so I used a hoyt puck since its know for its reliability. Summerboard uses a 12S(6S+6S) you can use a 10S but your speed will be slower unless you change your gearing. I’d recommend a 12s2p or 12s3p(what I am using).

1 Like

hey there.

just got my summerboard a few days ago. Bought is used on ebay.
I also had issues with the mainboard.

First, I measured the voltage on the battery connector. Reading 24v on one side and 1v on the other side. So I was suspecting that one 6s part of the battery is dead.

I opened it up and desoldered the battery from the pcbs.
After measuring the voltage again, directly on the battery mains, it says 24v for BOTH sides. (that means battery is ok)

So I soldered the battery again to the mainboard, just to check. Again it says 24v one side and 1v the other side. (means that mainboard might have issues)

The only thing I did then, was to solder the battery mains directly to the battery plug. (“bypass the
bms” for discharge).
Now it is working perfectly fine for riding and charging.

maybe you have same issue and your battery is still fine. :slight_smile:
I’ll keep fingers crossed for you.

the current side-effects are: on/off switch and the leds are no more working.
so I have to remove battery everytime for longer storage.

btw: after riding it for some hours, (great feeling. 100%) I have to say the battery is really way too small. So I will also put a selfmade 12s2p or even 12s3p in this thing. (like @SpeedDemon)

:man_surfing:

2 Likes

Thanks for your sharing, but i’m not well in soldering and my board is still under warrenty, will consider ship the mainboard to SummerBoard for repairing first.

At the same time, i will purchase motherboard, remote and battery like @SpeedDemon suggested to make the board works ASAP first.

After they repaired the mainboard, it will be my backup parts in case my DIY parts wear and tear.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your reply, is it any special setup in VESC tool? or just follow the official setup guideline is fine? Is it need to change the bullet connector or keep the original size also okay? Thanks again!

1 Like

No real problem with original bullet connector sizes.

Setup wizard guide is mostly idiot proof if you have any questions feel free to DM basically anyone in this thread for answers or post here or the SBX review thread.

1 Like

good luck with getting your warranty.

1 Like

I was thinking about doing this to one of my old sbx batteries to sell it. Back when I still used to board one of my batteries stoped working aswell.

1 Like

If you’ve setup another esk8 before then it’s basically the same. Only difference when sbx you should turn HFI on in the settings and make sure both casters as aligned before running calibration. These the extra steps help to make sure the board starts up properly if the motors are stuttering then do these steps.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding this to me. I found that many 12s3p battery using XT90 but GO-FOC DV4 using XT60 Plug, is it okay to use a XT90 to XT60 adapter or must connect to a XT60 battery?

I found this one seems flexiable as able to select different form factor to fit the waterproof battery box.

You can solder on new xt90 or xt60 as need. I’d recommend xt90 antispark tho.

Small Update replace the xenith with a spare stormcore. Designed a recessed charging port mount to prevent damage to the charging port if/when the board flips over. Finally got the voltage monitor to work without dying from vibrations after 3 rides. Cleaned up the wiring. Tested out splattergoat a custom griptape printing service. Results were decent. But I shouldn’t have made it such a light blue, it picks up dirt to fast.

3 Likes