Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

making a battery box only would be hard. the sbx battery clips on and making reliable 3d printed clips is very difficult. the sbx clips aren’t great to begin with even with their own product. making a full battery box with a esc and a non-detatchable battery would be less complicated but still isn’t a good idea. buying a case like this and putting the battery and enclosure inside would be a much more reliable solution. 3d printed enclosures can work for an esc only but the battery is just to much weight to risk. I don’t recommend it. the sbx has to many failure points already and 3d printed enclosures are failure prone.

2 Likes

Fully agreen with @SpeedDemon but if you do want to go the most stock parts upgrade route.

I got a model fairly close, but I don’t have a sbx base/deck to fit it into. So someone would need to print this and fit it to an SBX to know. Will check over the file once again, print and prob send it to someone.

As far as the weak point with the stock clips, that is already solved by most people using a strap around it when getting rowdy.

Great point about the weight of the battery for the strength of a printed battery box, earlier I was saying that the external features of the SBX battery would be easy enough to fiberglass.

Hi there,

I’ve been looking to buy a Summerboard for 2 years. I just found a used one (in France). The battery had the BMS fault so the current owner removed the BMS and the cells and connected two LIPO (2x4S 6200mah).
I would like to know if connecting LIPO directly to the motherboard was risky (without BMS)?
I had planned to change these LIPOs by 6S to go back to 12S, unless you tell me it’s too risky for the ESC.
500€ for the board, freshies, footpads with launchpads, the original charger, 2x LiPo 4S, SkyRC T200 charger.
thank you in advance for your help

1 Like

Ok so I have not come across many people talking about running non SB battery with the SB esc/motherboard. All the ones I have seen have used 12S li-ion. From my testing the 8S on sbx motors is fast enough so cool to see a unique setup like that.

To answer if lipos are risky, if you know what you are doing with the lipo charger and treat the packs nicely it should be ok.

Thx @Fosterqc for your answer!
So for you without the BMS it’s OK ? I was thinking that the BMS protect the ESC.
I know that LiPo need to be careful with charging and storage.

If I go for it, I think I will keep the lipo but making a higher case with the help of your step file :grin:

Thx again for your answer and I’ll come back with the new mod when it’s done.

1 Like

LIPO Charge only Smart BMS wiring Guide

this is what you want to look at

1 Like

I wonder if ST-link would fix it, or if a STM chip swap or other repair is actually needed. They did not really make these Mobo much worth saving imo. Given you are locked into one remote as far as I have seen.

@Ricco You helped me find where there might be a UART port accessible, maybe someone can test out using another remote if they can switch it internally somehow.

1 Like

really love that solution!

I also have a SBX wit faulty battery here. bought is used…
Now I like to repair it in a easy way.

Your solution, to use 2 Lipos and cut them into the case is just cool as f*ck!!!
:+1:

Maybe this will be my evening project today :slight_smile:

Do you have any tips what I should take care of? Or is it just as straightforward as it looks?

Did you remove all the original pcb electronics in the battery case?
Only connected the battery to the mains?
Or do I need to shorten any of those wires? (red circles in the image)

thx

1 Like

Not trying to answer but I am pretty sure all the battery PCBs and wiring goes in the trash (or keep like me the hoarder of old parts)

Haha I think it would be fun to at least keep the SB logo witht he LEDs on top if you put a BUCK into your battery wiring w/ loop key.

1 Like

Remember that guy that was making the replacement casters for the V2, how much was he selling them for?

1 Like

wish I could say but I designed them so they took 360 units of patience and 0$

I have not repeated my request for any updated CAd models or drawings that the shop Dylan was working with made. Might be of use to ask.

1 Like

Fuck… i dont even wanna know how much summerboard is gonna charge me for this one…

3 Likes

They asked $40 with shipping when I broke mine.

3 Likes

Mine broke the same way and I used epoxy to fix it since I think they were having stock issues at the time.

4 Likes

Im gonna try that out actually, mines completely snapped off though, idk if its still fixable…

1 Like

I was curious to know how much it costed him to CNC them. I am designing my own replacement for the V2 casters as a test to see how practical it is to use sendcutsend as a manufacturer service.

The Fork will be made from 3.1mm sheet of 316 stainless and bend into shape.
Disk will be aluminum or plastic and it will be screwed onto the fork with gub screws.
The bearing spacer could possibly be 3d printed for cheap.
the long Spacer that goes through the bearing will either be 3d printed or made from aluminum.
The bottom washer will be leftover from the V2.

The hole assembly will be screwed together with one long screw. I am still debating on if Ill used a nut or make the fork threaded.

I just got my first parts today and they look nice! they were there’s some dimensions that are wrong so I need to make some slight offsets(needed to hammer them together since tolerances were to tight). Major problem was that I somehow fucked up on the instructions and the entire model ended up wider by like 7mm with made it unusable. Not bad for $41 tho.

If this works then Ill open source the CAD for it so others can use it to fix their V2’s. Then Ill design one for the SBX with the stock slipring and baseplate so people can add larger motors and different wheels/gearing. Then Ill look into getting my own custom sliprings build that Ill use with the Otherbord M1 caster. Hopefully at the end of this Ill have a fully customizable ecaster that will work with almost any combo of gearing/motors/wheels. This is gonna be fun. I’m excided.

2 Likes

Hey mate, sorry didn’t see your message.

Yep just remove all and connect to the main connector of the battery case.

As I’m now ridding better I plan to add something for vibration.

1 Like

So after some sessions, I’m now confident with my SBX so tried some speed test.
At full throttle with the 4S LiPo I can’t reach more than 27km/h.
So next upgrade is two new 6S LiPo. Just need to check for the discharge if 40C is enough or not.

I’m in love with this board!
Maybe, next upgrade will be a swap on a 5X freeboard but I need to test one before.

1 Like

As far as I have heard the stock SBX ESC/mobo is set to a radical 14A per side. 30A is possible even with the most dead cheap lipos.

If VESC swapping go with some quality ones and make sure they have compression or they will puff sooner or later.

1 Like

VESC swapping will be done if I change to a freeboard 5X. I already check the SBX supermod topic, the Xenith vesc looks so cool but damned it’s expensive.,.
Don’t know if there is cheaper alternative or need to go for it.

1 Like