Suggested Forum Improvements 2022

Mediawiki seems to be a free platform for making wikis.

2 Likes

can both be done. Though i think a FAQ instead of trusted vendors could be more useful

FAQ: where do i find vendors
Where do can ask question regarding X or Y

each linking to the specific thread or info
etc etc

also keep in mind that we already have 4 stickied threads at the moment

4 Likes

these are good additional measurements.

4 Likes

The reason I ask the above about moderation is - I’ve been here about a year, I think my anniversary is in about a week or two. So I wasn’t around for what looks like the really busy period of .builders being huge (but I’ve read a lot of it), I have seen a bit of the seasonal increase and decrease in activity, but I’ve only seen one major problem while I was here and that was handled IMO very very well and much better than I expected, albeit a little slower than I’d have liked.

There was a post in the bitching thread I thought was distasteful but not the worst thing I’ve ever seen by a long shot, someone (I think Justin) explained why it was bad and asked to reword it, I added an explanation from another angle based on my experience, and then my buddy Leon decided it was his time to shine. I tried to have a conversation to hear him out and convert him compassionately, he showed a stunning lack of empathy, and I got pissed and very much started throwing shit back at him. Not homophobic, racist, or anything like what he was saying, but deeefinitely not nice either. After a bunch of flagging and some people joining in to back me up, I wanted to make a case that his behaviour went beyond flagging individual posts and asked because he had used a bunch of slurs, stereotypes, and taken every opportunity to stir up a fight that it was important to publicly have a position against that and make it clear that’s not welcome here. I didn’t make specific requests beyond “hey I think this has escalated, pls publicly make a note to set the precedent and/or tell him to shut up privately”, and the owners then wrote it into the rules specifically that you can’t be a dick and this space is for everyone, made a big public thread outlining stuff people might need to learn and started a discussion on inclusion, and exiled Leon to JP-land. That’s why I say it was handled better than expected, I think it’s a really good idea to have that conversation but I’m not deluded enough to think that a bunch of mostly men of various ages and cultural backgrounds are all going to agree with me or want to talk about. I didn’t know anyone here personally so I expected more eye-rolling and a lot less sincerity, and I’m glad to have been wrong.

Anyway to get to the point; I was the one being insulted just for existing and having a guy trying to make me feel unwelcome. I think that’s a pretty uncomfortable case for a mod to deal with, and even though Leon was clearly being an asshole, assholes don’t always get lifetime bans. It would be really easy for Jamie and Damon to just suspend him for two weeks or delete the really explicit posts and then leave the rest of it, and especially to not draw extra shit on themselves by having a wider discussion. I don’t think at all they were too cautious or didn’t take stuff seriously, my only issue with speed was that 1. I didn’t bring it to them sooner and 2. It took a bit longer than I’d like for the well-meaning people who did back me up to say much publicly. We’re all good though, the nice messages were extremely appreciated and it’s cathartic to see people dunk on him

4 Likes

hey @longhairedboy wake up we want a wiki pls. C: <3

The welcome thread needs a serious update. And it should be directly opened when you start an account. And it should open with PLEASE READ THIS IT WILL MAKE YOUR TIME HERE EASIER"

people won’t read this. telling you now. :smiley:

3 Likes

January 2021 was the last article

sticky yes, to certain level i don’t think so.

Eh, that’s fine too, it’ll up the chances of someone answering.

owo :smiley_cat::heart_eyes_cat: daddy damon im :ok_hand::clap: sowwy fow :+1::crayon: making :girl: things compwicated cawn we pweeease have :u6709::smile: a wiki

2 Likes

Ok. “WHEN YOU START GETTING ROASTED, REMEMBER YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THIS.” and then we just all link them to that topic constantly xD

2 Likes

@longhairedboy pretty please. :hot_face: :kiss:

1 Like

as if anyone even reads that lol.

They register and go “WHERE POST QUESTION”

1 Like

Title - "READ THIS POST TO RECEIVE FREE ESK8 PARTS "
It’s up to the powers that be to decide how far down the following noob instructions content they decide to let them down gently

It’s the same as with the sales thread.

They open the editor, click on esk8 parts market and get this

they actively need to to delete the text and continue to post in it anyway.

1 Like

Speaking of suggestions

Renewing the noob thread Yes or no?

grafik

• yes
  • no

0 voters

1 Like

I mildly disagree here, because the majority of the time I see a discussion like this it’s followed by a passionate nerd summarising said niche thread, or someone who’s learned the hard way linking to the specific relevant comment. The worst that I see for most cases, is someone just linking to the old answer and not explaining anything, and I think that’s a perfectly fine response.

There is another category of response that does actually get the “look it up” response, but they’re usually stuff that’s insultingly easy to find. I recently saw a question on working remote function but no visible telemetry on a unity + VX2. That’s very complicated to find with the search, but I had had that issue before and knew where the info lived so I linked directly. If someone asks 10 basic ass questions though, they haven’t done any reading and are expecting to have their hand held, and that is a very fair time to be told to just look it up. I understand that you’ve had frustrating experiences with this, but it really isn’t personal or meant as an insult against your intelligence

No. I still have unanswered questions in there. /S

Nah man idc either way, so go for it before it actually needs to be done, right?

So far moving comments into it still works, so we don’t have to.

It’s just that the thread is almost 2 years old now and a 2022 version would look better, just like with the replies thread.

I don’t know if this is already possible or not, but having the option for long threads to automatically go to the most recent reply. As a noob I was constantly opening up long threads and wasting my time reading 3 yr olds comments before I twigged that you had to use that slide to go to the bottom.

If you have a post like Noob Questions, I think it makes sense to display the most recent reply first and then scroll to go backwards. The same would be good for Pictures and nothing else (and replies), Bitchin, positivity threads etc